Potentially the longest thread in history...

I think it has everything to do with region and general availability of a specific drink over time. For instance Coke originated in Georgia so it makes sense a lot of people from that area call everything a 'Coke', and Coke was the first general soda widely available worldwide. Soda and pop or the combination was just terms that stuck around since the 1800s with just saying pop being slang for soda pop.

So let me just get this straight. If I one day travel to Georgia and go into a bar and ask for a coke, they're going to turn around and ask what soda I want? My mom and sis already had stories of a surprising amount of translation problems when they visited NYC.

So let me just get this straight. If I one day travel to Georgia and go into a bar and ask for a coke, they're going to turn around and ask what soda I want? My mom and sis already had stories of a surprising amount of translation problems when they visited NYC.
In NYC, they would ask if you mean pepsi or coke a cola, and if you stated coke a cola they would say they only have pepsi

Yea pretty much.
Restaurants aren't as hick as I am. Plus the vast majority of places only serve Coke or Pepsi products, seldom both.

Don't have Dr. Pepe here as well. Guess it's enough to have two (international) cola soft drinks to choose from. We actually have a local cola soft drink called Bcola (pronounced as Be Cola, which should be written BCola instead). I remember we used to have something called Alsi Cola, which I believe was local too unless you guys have it over there which would prove me wrong.

We do have some non carbonated parallels to those too; cola and orange like Pepsi and Mirinda, called Sun Cola and Sun Top. Not sure if these are local products too. People say soft drinks become useless without carbonation (if that's a word) yet we have non carbonated versions for them and people actually like them. Speak of contradiction.

Anyway, my favorites are Mirinda Citrus, Mountain Due, then Pepsi. In that order. And I don't drink them much for health reasons. But when I do, I do with heart. One 500 ml bottle for me, please. And don't put that 1 L (a quart) bottle somewhere I can see it or else.

Back
Top Bottom