What You've Just Bought!

Ok so one use I didn't even think of for the X4. I have it plugged into my USB KVM and when I switch devices from PC to work laptop it bringing audio with it which is SUPER helpful for meetings to use my real headset.

Ok so one use I didn't even think of for the X4. I have it plugged into my USB KVM and when I switch devices from PC to work laptop it bringing audio with it which is SUPER helpful for meetings to use my real headset.

Same reason I got the FiiO K5 DAC/AMP with optical input. I output all my audio over HDMI for my PC, work laptop and PS5 into my TV, and then over optical output of my TV into my FiiO.

Some purists on headphone forums say you lose quality due to the cheap digital electronics inside the TV as it goes from HDMI to Optical. Imo another load of bs, I compared USB straight from my PC to this hdmi -> optical route and I can't tell a damn bit of difference.

Some audiophiles believe that the more devices you run an audio channel through, each device will degrade the quality of that audio somewhat. I'm not an audiophile by any means and I'm older that my hearing is no longer that well to begin with anyway, but I do run my video such as dvd and bluray through an optical to my receiver, then the tv via RCA and my pc is on a separate amp. I think you can do whatever you like as long as it sounds good to you, and your happy with it.
I tried to use an optical line from the tv to the receiver because they both are designed for optical but I never did get it to work.
My tv and bluray use the built in DAC in my receiver, which is a Harman Kardon AVR 520

Last edited:
Same reason I got the FiiO K5 DAC/AMP with optical input. I output all my audio over HDMI for my PC, work laptop and PS5 into my TV, and then over optical output of my TV into my FiiO.

Some purists on headphone forums say you lose quality due to the cheap digital electronics inside the TV as it goes from HDMI to Optical. Imo another load of bs, I compared USB straight from my PC to this hdmi -> optical route and I can't tell a damn bit of difference.
Tbf HDMI to optical is losing quality.

Tbf HDMI to optical is losing quality.

Technically but considering multiple A/B tests have proved the vast majority of people, even musicians, can't tell the difference between a good Mp3 file and FLAC/WAV, i'm gonna say the technical lower throughput of HDMI vs optical is inaudible and I would challenge anyone to a blind test to tell the difference.

Some audiophiles believe that the more devices you run an audio channel through, each device will degrade the quality of that audio somewhat. I'm not an audiophile by any means and I'm older that my hearing is no longer that well to begin with anyway, but I do run my video such as dvd and bluray through an optical to my receiver, then the tv via RCA and my pc is on a separate amp. I think you can do whatever you like as long as it sounds good to you, and your happy with it.
I tried to use an optical line from the tv to the receiver because they both are designed for optical but I never did get it to work.
My tv and bluray use the built in DAC in my receiver, which is a Harman Kardon AVR 520

For sure, there are things that you can measure using expensive equipment to prove there is a difference. My debate is those measurements usually represent things that people just can't hear. There is an audioscience website with the top 20 DACs, even the bottom ranked one has a SNR that is was better than what is believed to be audible by humans. Still people pay more for the top DACs with better SNR. Shrug.

There was a years old forum post where someone took their expensive audio equipment to a hifi show and swapped out his expensive interconnects for coat hangars and no one had any idea until he showed them.

I used the reviews from Audioscience when I decided to get the Topping D30 DAC for my pc to amp.
Audioscience is a really down to earth place for honest audio related reviews.

Technically but considering multiple A/B tests have proved the vast majority of people, even musicians, can't tell the difference between a good Mp3 file and FLAC/WAV, i'm gonna say the technical lower throughput of HDMI vs optical is inaudible and I would challenge anyone to a blind test to tell the difference.
Since I'm a surround person, I can tell the difference. BUT only because A: optical in surround is lossy over DTS or DD codecs and B: because said codecs or receivers will apply "enhancements" to the end result. Depending on the sending and receiving devices in stereo there should be no difference as it should be lossless. What makes it more infuriating (especially to me) is the fact that optical can technically handle way more bandwidth than presumed but the limitation is artificial and has been for decades now. I blame HDMI licensing and standardization for this.

Since I'm a surround person, I can tell the difference. BUT only because A: optical in surround is lossy over DTS or DD codecs and B: because said codecs or receivers will apply "enhancements" to the end result. Depending on the sending and receiving devices in stereo there should be no difference as it should be lossless. What makes it more infuriating (especially to me) is the fact that optical can technically handle way more bandwidth than presumed but the limitation is artificial and has been for decades now. I blame HDMI licensing and standardization for this.

Oh yeah, I can see why people don't use optical for modern surround setups. But i'm just doing stereo into my headphone amp for obvious reasons. And yeah the bandwidth for optical makes no sense, shouldn't it be multi gigabit quite easily especially with the short distances involved lol.

Oh yeah, I can see why people don't use optical for modern surround setups. But i'm just doing stereo into my headphone amp for obvious reasons. And yeah the bandwidth for optical makes no sense, shouldn't it be multi gigabit quite easily especially with the short distances involved lol.
The artificial limits were put in place because cheaper more widely available optical cables were using plastic instead of glass. In the earlyish 2000s tests were done and shown that these plastic toslink cables off the shelf were easily able to do 5Gb+ in the 6ft distances tested. This is more than enough to handle everything we have today over HDMI without the sync issues some receivers have.

Got a new Char-Griller 3-Burner Gas Griddle. I had applied to be a brand ambassador for Char-Griller a few months ago but never heard back anything so I figured it wasn't going to happen, and then I got an email from Char-Griller telling me that they had a new gas griddle coming out and asked if I wanted to be a product tester for it. It took almost two weeks before I had the chance to assemble it but I got it done yesterday, and then I got the griddle seasoned and ready. I did my first cook on it this evening and made chicken fajitas.

Attachments

• 20220531_153934[1].jpg
    20220531_153934[1].jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220611_134351[1].jpg
    20220611_134351[1].jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220611_153709[1].jpg
    20220611_153709[1].jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220612_184150[1].jpg
    20220612_184150[1].jpg