What You've Just Bought!

Hmm makes the initial buy in a bit more expensive then.
Like any enterprise stuff there's cost and controllers involved of some sort. If you just wanted an AP as a standalone that's doable with just their app on your phone.

The other option is to run their software 24/7 on a server to get more functionality but since I haven't ran that in ages I couldn't tell you what you'd lose not having a Unifi OS capable device.

Like any enterprise stuff there's cost and controllers involved of some sort. If you just wanted an AP as a standalone that's doable with just their app on your phone.

The other option is to run their software 24/7 on a server to get more functionality but since I haven't ran that in ages I couldn't tell you what you'd lose not having a Unifi OS capable device.
I was considering the Ubiquiti stuff when I decided to buy a dedicated AP just for my Quest 2 AirLink, but as the Quest 2 can only do 1200Mbps in the end I decided on just a mid range Asus WiFi Router in AP mode. Actually works great, and the iPhone app to control it is surprisingly good. I'm sure its noway near as good as Ubiquiti's but it suited my needs. My guess is the Quest Pro whenever that releases will have better wifi and even higher wifi demands for the airlink to work well, so I may upgrade to something like Ubiquiti then if I need it.

In other news, I bought a car ! after leasing my last 3 cars I finally decide I don't wanna spend that money anymore as i'm 90% work from home. Also, HSBC let me extend my current loan by £8k and give me a better APR to boot, so I get £8k and my monthly loan payment stays almost indentical, which was very nice. I really wasn't interested in the whole process, this is gonna sound super snobbery and first world problem kinda thing but my basic attitude was that any car I can buy with my £8k budget is not gonna be anywhere near as good as my leased 2020 Audi A6, so why even bother putting much effort into it. So that's what I did, I woke up yesterday, applied for the loan, got the money, went on Autotrader, sorted by all cars within my budget and picked the first car that I liked the look of at a basic level and was being sold by a well reviewed car dealership. Ended up with a Volvo V40 R-Design Lux Nav. Went and picked it up later that day. And you know what, I actually really like it now. It looks good, it's in good condition, the seats are comfortable, other than Apple CarPlay it basically has all the same kit as my Audi. Heated seats, dual zone aircon, parking sensors, satnav. And it even has things my Audi didn't have, the main one being a heated windscreen for quick winter defrosts. Really happy with it. I don't even miss CarPlay that much because the Volvo still has a USB Port with iPod support, so I can connect my phone and still get access to Apple music, and tbh the physical controls are easier than a touchscreen when driving. Oh and it also handles better due to the firmer suspension, low profile tyres, and weighs about 250kg less. It's a diesel with a bunch of torque which makes it nice to drive as well. Sounds like a tractor which is the only downside.

Last edited:
I was considering the Ubiquiti stuff when I decided to buy a dedicated AP just for my Quest 2 AirLink, but as the Quest 2 can only do 1200Mbps in the end I decided on just a mid range Asus WiFi Router in AP mode. Actually works great, and the iPhone app to control it is surprisingly good. I'm sure its noway near as good as Ubiquiti's but it suited my needs. My guess is the Quest Pro whenever that releases will have better wifi and even higher wifi demands for the airlink to work well, so I may upgrade to something like Ubiquiti then if I need it.
Well I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, that those numbers are total throughput and not single device throughput. That's actually why I went with the Wifi 6 APs because my current pair of AC Pros are limited to 1300 combined between 2.4 and 5Ghz. Where as the Wifi 6 Pro is limited to 5.4Gb combined. Mind you I do have all these kids, a few 1080 wireless Ubiquiti cams, a bunch of IoT (which I'm already bored of) etc. But mainly so I can see a higher speedtest on my phone because why not.
In other news, I bought a car ! after leasing my last 3 cars I finally decide I don't wanna spend that money anymore as i'm 90% work from home. Also, HSBC let me extend my current loan by £8k and give me a better APR to boot, so I get £8k and my monthly loan payment stays almost indentical, which was very nice. I really wasn't interested in the whole process, this is gonna sound super snobbery and first world problem kinda thing but my basic attitude was that any car I can buy with my £8k budget is not gonna be anywhere near as good as my leased 2020 Audi A6, so why even bother putting much effort into it. So that's what I did, I woke up yesterday, applied for the loan, got the money, went on Autotrader, sorted by all cars within my budget and picked the first car that I liked the look of at a basic level and was being sold by a well reviewed car dealership. Ended up with a Volvo V40 R-Design Lux Nav. Went and picked it up later that day. And you know what, I actually really like it now. It looks good, it's in good condition, the seats are comfortable, other than Apple CarPlay it basically has all the same kit as my Audi. Heated seats, dual zone aircon, parking sensors, satnav. And it even has things my Audi didn't have, the main one being a heated windscreen for quick winter defrosts. Really happy with it. I don't even miss CarPlay that much because the Volvo still has a USB Port with iPod support, so I can connect my phone and still get access to Apple music, and tbh the physical controls are easier than a touchscreen when driving. Oh and it also handles better due to the firmer suspension, low profile tyres, and weighs about 250kg less. It's a diesel with a bunch of torque which makes it nice to drive as well. Sounds like a tractor which is the only downside.
That's a nice car. Gives me hot hatch vibes. I'm still driving my 99 Mustang GT, and although I put an Android based radio in it for the soul purpose of Google maps I NEVER use it for that. It's so dog shit I only use it for music and I periodically have to double tap the search button to make it find my music all over again or it'll start repeating the same 4 songs out of 33GB of music. If I ever want to update the apps on it I have to make it an all day affair bouncing between Google Play and APK Updater. So I'll be getting a Carplay head unit soon but I'm afraid I hurt the engine earlier this week by downshifting from OD to 3rd and stomping the gas. I let off at about 95mph and there was way more backfiring than usual and when I finally got off the highway and stopped at a light I was definitely down a cylinder. When I left work that day it was fine cold, but warm you can still hear a putter here and there. That being said here's the situation on the wife's car (no rant this time I promise)
Since the other guy that hit her was at fault we had a rental for 2 weeks. During those two weeks she spent the better part of 3 days trying to find a replacement vehicle that wasn't 700+ a month. She eventually went with Caravana despite my warning (exact same car, lower miles, less overall cost, less interest, just blue instead of silver). I was ok with the monthly price, we waited and it got delayed. Got delayed again, then I had to take off the 3rd day so she could use my car for the kids. That delivery day got delayed too and we noticed they didn't take their down, nor did they even hit her credit yet. This was yesterday, and they delayed the car to May 12th which I said fuck that. We returned the rental on Wednesday so she needed a car. I found another 2020 Rogue but black and not AWD at Texas Nissan close to the house. They didn't clean the car properly and she wasn't happy with it but since the guy was so pushy he let her borrow the car to head to an interview she needed to be at. I'm waiting for her to be done at the house and she calls me telling me the car won't start. She also said when she was driving a longer distance she could tell the alignment was off. Turns out the keyfob malfunctioned and the car wouldn't start in this high end ENT surgery center with doctors coming out leaving for the day that just interviewed her. Needless to say she was embarrassed and said fuck that car. What we do? Went right back to Enterprise where she got the last car. Got the exact same vehicle again, cheaper price, less miles, same color and features as the last one she bought and it was almost 150 a month CHEAPER despite her still having that other car on her credit still.

Buying a car in the US is fucking wild now man, especially with everything going on and the used car market shooting up. I really DON'T want to get a vehicle right now but I might be forced to. That same Nissan dealer with the shit car was selling a 2019 Dodge Ram Classic 1500 with the most basic package you could find with 92k miles for 21,000 bucks! Only 3,000 less than the 2020 Rogue she looked at with only 31k miles. And basically any truck you find with 60k or less miles is 30,000 dollars or more. In 2018 I got a 2015 Focus SE with ~15,000 miles on it for 10 fucking grand. I put 200 down on it and my payments were only 214 a month with a low ass interest rate. Kinda wish I still had that car tbh.

Well I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, that those numbers are total throughput and not single device throughput. That's actually why I went with the Wifi 6 APs because my current pair of AC Pros are limited to 1300 combined between 2.4 and 5Ghz. Where as the Wifi 6 Pro is limited to 5.4Gb combined. Mind you I do have all these kids, a few 1080 wireless Ubiquiti cams, a bunch of IoT (which I'm already bored of) etc. But mainly so I can see a higher speedtest on my phone because why not.

That's a nice car. Gives me hot hatch vibes. I'm still driving my 99 Mustang GT, and although I put an Android based radio in it for the soul purpose of Google maps I NEVER use it for that. It's so dog shit I only use it for music and I periodically have to double tap the search button to make it find my music all over again or it'll start repeating the same 4 songs out of 33GB of music. If I ever want to update the apps on it I have to make it an all day affair bouncing between Google Play and APK Updater. So I'll be getting a Carplay head unit soon but I'm afraid I hurt the engine earlier this week by downshifting from OD to 3rd and stomping the gas. I let off at about 95mph and there was way more backfiring than usual and when I finally got off the highway and stopped at a light I was definitely down a cylinder. When I left work that day it was fine cold, but warm you can still hear a putter here and there. That being said here's the situation on the wife's car (no rant this time I promise)
Since the other guy that hit her was at fault we had a rental for 2 weeks. During those two weeks she spent the better part of 3 days trying to find a replacement vehicle that wasn't 700+ a month. She eventually went with Caravana despite my warning (exact same car, lower miles, less overall cost, less interest, just blue instead of silver). I was ok with the monthly price, we waited and it got delayed. Got delayed again, then I had to take off the 3rd day so she could use my car for the kids. That delivery day got delayed too and we noticed they didn't take their down, nor did they even hit her credit yet. This was yesterday, and they delayed the car to May 12th which I said fuck that. We returned the rental on Wednesday so she needed a car. I found another 2020 Rogue but black and not AWD at Texas Nissan close to the house. They didn't clean the car properly and she wasn't happy with it but since the guy was so pushy he let her borrow the car to head to an interview she needed to be at. I'm waiting for her to be done at the house and she calls me telling me the car won't start. She also said when she was driving a longer distance she could tell the alignment was off. Turns out the keyfob malfunctioned and the car wouldn't start in this high end ENT surgery center with doctors coming out leaving for the day that just interviewed her. Needless to say she was embarrassed and said fuck that car. What we do? Went right back to Enterprise where she got the last car. Got the exact same vehicle again, cheaper price, less miles, same color and features as the last one she bought and it was almost 150 a month CHEAPER despite her still having that other car on her credit still.

Buying a car in the US is fucking wild now man, especially with everything going on and the used car market shooting up. I really DON'T want to get a vehicle right now but I might be forced to. That same Nissan dealer with the shit car was selling a 2019 Dodge Ram Classic 1500 with the most basic package you could find with 92k miles for 21,000 bucks! Only 3,000 less than the 2020 Rogue she looked at with only 31k miles. And basically any truck you find with 60k or less miles is 30,000 dollars or more. In 2018 I got a 2015 Focus SE with ~15,000 miles on it for 10 fucking grand. I put 200 down on it and my payments were only 214 a month with a low ass interest rate. Kinda wish I still had that car tbh.

Lol gotta love cars man. If I had unlimited money i'd have so many cars.. and probably motorbikes too.

The prices are stupid here as well. My dads friend bought a new Land Rover Defender and sold it back to the dealership he got it from a year later for more money than he paid for it brand new.

Back
Top Bottom