What You've Just Bought!

3090ti FTW3

Nice dude! I just checked and they are £2090 on Scan.co.uk. Holy damn! That's gonna be an epic card though. I'm gonna wait for the 4xxx series before I upgrade. I basically just became a massive DCS addict in the past 6 months and so all my upgrading will be for that. It's terribly optimized and in VR especially, eats biblical amounts of VRAM. The 24GB of the 3090Ti would be really great for that...

Funnily enough I just pulled the trigger on the CPU/Mobo/RAM/SSD upgrade today. I said a few days ago i'll wait until later in the year but in the past couple days I decided to not get a new lease car and just buy an old banger in a months time when my current car goes back in the next few weeks, I figure I can afford it now. I was coughing up $500 a month for my current car lease, I didn't mind when I was sat in the car for 3 hours a day commuting, but ever since Covid I barely drive it more than 20 minutes a day.

Ordered:
Intel 12900K
Asus Z690-F
64GB Corsair DDR5 5600
2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2
Fractal Design Define 7 XL (my current case is driving me crazy, it keeps vibrating, and the side panel doesn't screw on properly)

The price sucked donkey balls, but with inflation at 8% it was probably gonna be even more expensive if I waited later in the year. Still jealous of the 3090Ti though. Ohwell, hopefully the RTX 4080 will not be priced too badly ( yeah i'm that naive :] )

Nice dude! I just checked and they are £2090 on Scan.co.uk. Holy damn! That's gonna be an epic card though. I'm gonna wait for the 4xxx series before I upgrade. I basically just became a massive DCS addict in the past 6 months and so all my upgrading will be for that. It's terribly optimized and in VR especially, eats biblical amounts of VRAM. The 24GB of the 3090Ti would be really great for that...

Funnily enough I just pulled the trigger on the CPU/Mobo/RAM/SSD upgrade today. I said a few days ago i'll wait until later in the year but in the past couple days I decided to not get a new lease car and just buy an old banger in a months time when my current car goes back in the next few weeks, I figure I can afford it now. I was coughing up $500 a month for my current car lease, I didn't mind when I was sat in the car for 3 hours a day commuting, but ever since Covid I barely drive it more than 20 minutes a day.

Ordered:
Intel 12900K
Asus Z690-F
64GB Corsair DDR5 5600
2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2
Fractal Design Define 7 XL (my current case is driving me crazy, it keeps vibrating, and the side panel doesn't screw on properly)

The price sucked donkey balls, but with inflation at 8% it was probably gonna be even more expensive if I waited later in the year. Still jealous of the 3090Ti though. Ohwell, hopefully the RTX 4080 will not be priced too badly ( yeah i'm that naive :] )
That's my next move. Fully intend on going 12th gen, but DDR4 instead to keep my current RAM and a cheaper board.
Question, why the Seagate SSD?

I took a long time to consider the card, but mainly I figure 4000 series will have the same issues that 3000 did and I waited 2 years for an upgrade. As for the price, I took into consideration I haven't purchased a GPU since 2015, and the fact that I was looking at paying over 3 grand at one point for a pre-built with a 3090. Add that to the fact that most 3090s you can get ahold of are actually more than 2000 it made the most sense.

That's my next move. Fully intend on going 12th gen, but DDR4 instead to keep my current RAM and a cheaper board.
Question, why the Seagate SSD?

I took a long time to consider the card, but mainly I figure 4000 series will have the same issues that 3000 did and I waited 2 years for an upgrade. As for the price, I took into consideration I haven't purchased a GPU since 2015, and the fact that I was looking at paying over 3 grand at one point for a pre-built with a 3090. Add that to the fact that most 3090s you can get ahold of are actually more than 2000 it made the most sense.

It had a lot of good reviews and basically seems to top the charts or come close in SSD benchmarks. Uses 176 layer nand etc. Honestly I only put in about 5 minutes of research lol but it got lots of great reviews and had top speeds, endurance etc, and the price was reasonable. If I made a big mistake tell me now so I can return it and swap it for something like a Samsung 980 :ROFLMAO:. As for the mobo it wasn't initially my first choice but they had a today only Bundle deal with the 12900K and Z690-F with £120 off overall compared to buying them seperately, so I went along with it.

I take it you are gaming at 4K if you're getting a 3090Ti, or you're trying to hit something crazy like 360hz at 1080p ?

This is random but do you bother installing this crap ? https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download

I always just let Windows Update download what it needed unless I was specifically having issues, but now people on forums and reddit are saying I should literally install everything off that page for any new mobo :sleep:

Also when it all arrives tomorrow I need to benchmark the performance impact of using multiple M2 slots in terms of it eating PCI-E lanes. Because I want to reuse my existing 1TB M2, and maybe purchase a 3rd M2 SSD for storage. I was going to get a SATA SSD but they are literally not any cheaper and have worse performance..

Last edited:
It had a lot of good reviews and basically seems to top the charts or come close in SSD benchmarks. Uses 176 layer nand etc. Honestly I only put in about 5 minutes of research lol but it got lots of great reviews and had top speeds, endurance etc, and the price was reasonable. If I made a big mistake tell me now so I can return it and swap it for something like a Samsung 980 :ROFLMAO:. As for the mobo it wasn't initially my first choice but they had a today only Bundle deal with the 12900K and Z690-F with £120 off overall compared to buying them seperately, so I went along with it.
Top sequential reads cap once the cache runs dry, which at 7GB/s is quick. It's why I went with the Sabrent instead because it was cheaper and holds sustained from what I saw at the time longer. Honestly they're all so fast in a blind test you probably wouldn't notice a difference, but I'm avoiding Samsung's shit this gen.
I take it you are gaming at 4K if you're getting a 3090Ti, or you're trying to hit something crazy like 360hz at 1080p ?
5120x1440@240hz. Even if I was still on regular 1440p I'd take the card to hold it longer.
This is random but do you bother installing this crap ? https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download

I always just let Windows Update download what it needed unless I was specifically having issues, but now people on forums and reddit are saying I should literally install everything off that page for any new mobo
I never install any extra software for almost anything, and I don't use Asus boards anyways. I've installed Armory Crate for a few customers that wanted to mess with LEDs but that's it. My next board will be an Asus, so I won't be downloading any junk. With my past 2 boards with ASRock I've used their fan software to set fan curves but it stays off unless I want to change the curve.....which is never. I installed iQue once to set all 10 sticks of my Dom Plat RGB to solid pink in firmware then uninstalled. I installed Logi G Hub on my laptop to set profiles to firmware and then uninstalled. The only hardware software I use is for my sound card.
Also when it all arrives tomorrow I need to benchmark the performance impact of using multiple M2 slots in terms of it eating PCI-E lanes. Because I want to reuse my existing 1TB M2, and maybe purchase a 3rd M2 SSD for storage. I was going to get a SATA SSD but they are literally not any cheaper and have worse performance..
Depends on the board. The PCI-E slot is wired to CPU and the rest via chipset I believe, although some boards have the #1 M.2 wired to CPU as well but at gen 4.

Top sequential reads cap once the cache runs dry, which at 7GB/s is quick. It's why I went with the Sabrent instead because it was cheaper and holds sustained from what I saw at the time longer. Honestly they're all so fast in a blind test you probably wouldn't notice a difference, but I'm avoiding Samsung's shit this gen.

5120x1440@240hz. Even if I was still on regular 1440p I'd take the card to hold it longer.

I never install any extra software for almost anything, and I don't use Asus boards anyways. I've installed Armory Crate for a few customers that wanted to mess with LEDs but that's it. My next board will be an Asus, so I won't be downloading any junk. With my past 2 boards with ASRock I've used their fan software to set fan curves but it stays off unless I want to change the curve.....which is never. I installed iQue once to set all 10 sticks of my Dom Plat RGB to solid pink in firmware then uninstalled. I installed Logi G Hub on my laptop to set profiles to firmware and then uninstalled. The only hardware software I use is for my sound card.

Depends on the board. The PCI-E slot is wired to CPU and the rest via chipset I believe, although some boards have the #1 M.2 wired to CPU as well but at gen 4.

Ah yeah thats still a pretty hefty resolution especially at 240hz. You might be able to ger 240fps at that res in new games by the time the RTX 6xxx series is out…

I realised this is by far the most expensive upgrade i’ve ever done for what is generally going to be very minimal fps gain. Nearly all games at 4K are still GPU bound and this upgrade will not do much to help, probably gonna be a bunch of games with identical fps to before. But I knew that, it wasn’t so much about broad general FPS gains. I think it will help with more niche things like DCS, Air Link for my Quest 2 (bought a dedicated wifi AP for it too), drawing lag in Photoshop and Clip Studio and so on. Doubled my RAM and SSD speed too. And finally an end to my damn vibrating case.

Well got my PC all set up and everything is good so far, just one issue getting my RAM to work properly. I bought Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz but it's defaulting to 4000mhz and whenever I try and select XMP1 or 2 and save, the PC restarts but no video signal until it reboots back into BIOS safe mode with XMP disabled again. So had to leave it on Auto for now.

edit:

Mirrored the XMP settings for timings and voltages but set it to DDR5-4800Mhz instead of DDR5-5600Mhz like XMP1/2 tries. It boots now. Well, it's not great, but better than the 4000 base clock. I'll see how it goes tonight and maybe try 5000 tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ah yeah thats still a pretty hefty resolution especially at 240hz. You might be able to ger 240fps at that res in new games by the time the RTX 6xxx series is out…
Yea it's almost like running a 4k monitor. The games I need frames in I will be able to hammer out over 300 easy anyways. For the games I don't I'm happy with a 60 low cranked.
I realised this is by far the most expensive upgrade i’ve ever done for what is generally going to be very minimal fps gain. Nearly all games at 4K are still GPU bound and this upgrade will not do much to help, probably gonna be a bunch of games with identical fps to before. But I knew that, it wasn’t so much about broad general FPS gains. I think it will help with more niche things like DCS, Air Link for my Quest 2 (bought a dedicated wifi AP for it too), drawing lag in Photoshop and Clip Studio and so on. Doubled my RAM and SSD speed too. And finally an end to my damn vibrating case.
The sim games will get a good bump, and your 1% lows will be significantly better due to less frametime spiking as they are heavily CPU bound.
Mirrored the XMP settings for timings and voltages but set it to DDR5-4800Mhz instead of DDR5-5600Mhz like XMP1/2 tries. It boots now. Well, it's not great, but better than the 4000 base clock. I'll see how it goes tonight and maybe try 5000 tomorrow.
This is why I'm opting out of DDR5 to get away from the teething issues and save me 600 bucks which wouldn't amount to much benefit anyways. Most people I know have to always manually set their settings and even then it's hit or miss above anything 5200.

Well got my PC all set up and everything is good so far, just one issue getting my RAM to work properly. I bought Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz but it's defaulting to 4000mhz and whenever I try and select XMP1 or 2 and save, the PC restarts but no video signal until it reboots back into BIOS safe mode with XMP disabled again. So had to leave it on Auto for now.

edit:

checked out your specs and the default for memory is 4800, 5600 OC.
That cpu is rated for @ ddr 5 4800 MT/s
Looks like you'll need to O/C that bugger

Back
Top Bottom