The Food & Drink Thread

Decided to roll some smoke this morning. I put on a pork butt and a rack of baby backs. The pork butt is almost to temp, currently at 194F, so I will be pulling it shortly. The ribs turned out great. I double sauced them (brushed on sauce and let them smoke for another 20 minutes, sauced them again, and let them smoke for another 15 minutes) using G.Hughes sugar free sweet & spicy BBQ sauce. The last pic was brunch... half rack of baby backs, some hot slaw (cabbage, mayo, mustard, and jalapenos), and some cabbage left over from St. Patrick's (cooked in a slow cooker with Campbell's Beefy Mushroom soup).

Yeah, da fat boy can cook.

Attachments

• 20220319_103634[2].jpg
    20220319_103634[2].jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220319_112520[2].jpg
    20220319_112520[2].jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220319_113340[1].jpg
    20220319_113340[1].jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 2
Dude! Where the hell ya been? Have you seen the stuff I've been cranking out? I now have two smokers, a kamado and a gravity fed.

Nice! I picked up a kamado as well, amazing the difference good insulation and thermal capacity makes over cheap thin metal. Looks like you've been crankin em hard too ? I'll have to scroll through for a catchup.

So I'm slowly trying to get over my anxiety with cooking. Been making burgers, spaghetti, and hamburger helper for the family. Easy stuff. Today I did something even more basic and made my own milkshake. Simple vanilla ice cream, use heavy whipping cream instead, and put some strawberry syrup in it. Was kid approved and now I'll never get one from a fast food place again except Braums.

So I'm slowly trying to get over my anxiety with cooking. Been making burgers, spaghetti, and hamburger helper for the family. Easy stuff. Today I did something even more basic and made my own milkshake. Simple vanilla ice cream, use heavy whipping cream instead, and put some strawberry syrup in it. Was kid approved and now I'll never get one from a fast food place again except Braums.
Great to hear. Small steps are the way to go.

Any recommendations for something easy I can do that won't break the bank if I screw it up? Also remember there are Messicans in the house lol.
I specialize in easy. LOL

Meatloaf springs to mind. You can make it dead simple or spice it up. The priciest part is the meat. Pair that with mashed potatoes/baked potatoes/fries/tator tots, something green, and some type of bread (rolls, cornbread, whatever they like) and you have a whole meal.

Chili and soup/stews are simple and you can make a lot out of a little. I sometimes make lentil chili where I use a bag (16oz) of brown lentils (like a buck at Walmart) as the base for the chili. Lentils are high in protein and fiber so I use them in place of meat and beans. Simmer them with some diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, some beef stock, and your spices until it is as thick as you want it. Serve it with crackers or cornbread and you are off to the races.

For some heat but still fairly simple whip up some of my fiery jalapeno poppers. If you do it in steps (prep the peppers, cook the sausage, mix the stuffing, fill the peppers, wrap the peppers, cook them, chow down) it is really easy to pull off. Heck, you can do them over a couple of days if you wanted to. I've cooked up the sausage and made the stuffing on one day, then cut the peppers, stuffed and wrapped them the next, and then cooked them on the third. Here's the recipe: Fiery Jalapeño Poppers

If you have a crockpot then you have bunch of other options. Throw a pork butt or a half loin in it on low for six to eight hours, drain it, shred it, then toss it back in with a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (or two) and let it simmer for a hour or two. Easy pulled pork BBQ. You can do the same with boneless skinless chicken breasts but they don't take as long to cook.

You can also do ribs in the oven. Season them up using your favorite rub. The Gospel by Meat Church is great. I just got a bottle of their Voodoo rub for some wings but it would be good on ribs, maybe along with The Gospel. I also got a bottle of Dirty Bird from Kosmos Q but it will be too hot for my wife so it will probably go for wings as well. Walmart actually carries a lot of decent rubs (not Meat Church or Kosmos Q, but Buc-ees does). Anyway you can do them at 250F for 3-4 hours. https://www.food.com/recipe/easy-oven-baked-ribs-516009

If you want more ideas just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom