Computer froze.

CastletonSnob

Baseband Member
Not really sure where to put this topic.

The other day, my computer froze while I was trying to watch a YouTube video. I had to turn the monitor on and off, then go to a different window to get my screen to unfreeze again. This happened a couple of weeks ago, too.

How do I fix this?

You say your computer froze but then say that you the monitor on and off to unfreeze the computer. Slightly confusing, if your computer has frozen it would be unlikely that turning the monitor on and off would unfreeze it. So I am going to assume that it was yopur computer that vfroze rather than the monitor.

So what would cause that? Lots of things to be honest. A glitch that just happens, not a lot you can do about those. Heat usually caused by an accumulation of dust in the heat sinks. Heat again caused by the thermal paste deteriorating. Similar problems can be caused by similar faults on a graphics card, sound card, network card, etc etc. Heat again caused by trying to play a game or running software that your computer isn't capable of running. Some specs and age of computer might help. I have assumed that this is a desktop computer rather than a laptop although that same things can affect a laptop as well.

You say your computer froze but then say that you the monitor on and off to unfreeze the computer. Slightly confusing, if your computer has frozen it would be unlikely that turning the monitor on and off would unfreeze it. So I am going to assume that it was yopur computer that vfroze rather than the monitor.

So what would cause that? Lots of things to be honest. A glitch that just happens, not a lot you can do about those. Heat usually caused by an accumulation of dust in the heat sinks. Heat again caused by the thermal paste deteriorating. Similar problems can be caused by similar faults on a graphics card, sound card, network card, etc etc. Heat again caused by trying to play a game or running software that your computer isn't capable of running. Some specs and age of computer might help. I have assumed that this is a desktop computer rather than a laptop although that same things can affect a laptop as well.
I could still move my mouse, and the YouTube video was still playing audio, because I could hear it, the video just wasn't moving, and I couldn't click on a new tab.

I guess that's not really "freezing", is it?

I could still move my mouse, and the YouTube video was still playing audio, because I could hear it, the video just wasn't moving, and I couldn't click on a new tab.

I guess that's not really "freezing", is it?
Probably not, at least not freezing as us computer guys know it. Youtube does freeze occasionally. It would be good if you could supply some specifications because a possible cause of a Youtube freeze could be that your computer just could not keep up with the video. Having said that Youtube does spit out it's dummy (pacifier for you lot) sometimes.

It would be nice if you could provide any information about your system.
However, it could be add that the video driver can also be a problem, but it is impossible to say anything specific if we don't even know what system/computer it is.

On a possibly related issue, sometimes not all of the images or thumbnails on a page load, and I have to refresh.

Just a minute ago, I couldn't click on any tabs in the window I had open or scroll my mouse, so I went into the other window, and I was able to click on tabs.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. Maybe that'll fix the problem.

The other day, I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, and updated Windows.

When I Googled something just now, the pointer wouldn't turn into a hand, so I couldn't click on links. I could still click on other tabs and windows and click on links there, though, so I guess that's an improvement.

Honestly, this is more annoying than anything else. I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with my computer.

Back
Top Bottom