What You've Just Bought!

I have read a lot about the 980 PRO's being very good for not only R/W speeds, but Gbps speeds as well. That's why I went with them, TBH, not including them being on sale.
I think the biggest problem is their reputation and big sequential numbers that reviewers concentrate on, and overall people not paying attention to the nitty gritty. For instance, having a 100GB SLC cache means a drop in those big numbers faster than other drives, and happening even quicker when you're hammering the drive both ways. And these numbers here being the most important when it comes to real world usage and what people feel.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sabrent-rocket-4-plus-2-tb-ps5-heatsink/4.html

My overall biggest disappoint and why I feel the cost isn't worth it is the drive being TLC instead of MLC which drops the endurance quite a bit, which is what Samsung was known for as #1. I'm sure the 990 Pro or whatever else they come up with later as a Gen 4 refresh or Gen 5 drive will hopefully fix these bullet points. Outside of that I am 100% on board with Sabrent now.
but building a "work" machine for the first time that is not gaming focused, I think it's a decent experiment.
The past year my machine has been used more for photo editing, video editing, and mining than gaming. Running 4K edits in Premiere is where I noticed the biggest difference and I honestly wish that my D drive was another R4+ for scratch and holding the media files. It's why moving to Alder Lake is a talking point for me now having the ability to use a Gen 5 boot for OS and programs and having a Gen 4 without a bottleneck as a secondary. Having 20Gb capable externals is a plus. I really want to move back to my X299 rig for having 64GB of RAM but then I'm limited to Gen 3 and 6 cores.

Edit in fact I was editing and converting this DNG in Photoshop while I was typing this (waiting for it to export) 2 months today!

Attachments

• IMG_7957.PNG
    IMG_7957.PNG
    937.7 KB · Views: 3
Mom did an exceptional job and I am as proud as you both are! Congrats to you and the many years of (loving) stress that come with it! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I didn't want to go Alder Lake just due to the lack of DDR5 and the early adoption. This time around I wanted to go with a tested and tweaked platform. Yea, I know it's "on the way out" so-to-speak, but the 5900k platform will have at least another 3 years of updates, so I think that will give me plenty of time to figure out what will work for me and what won't. I still wish I had the money for an X99 machine, but it is what it is. LOL I seriously thought about a Threadripper build, but in the end I couldn't afford it, not knowing if this might endeavor might bear fruit. Long story short....

Who cares about my machine... Seriously. From one dad to another. I wish you the happiest of time with your latest addition to the family. Cherish the little moments, and celebrate the big ones.

Mom did an exceptional job and I am as proud as you both are! Congrats to you and the many years of (loving) stress that come with it! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I didn't want to go Alder Lake just due to the lack of DDR5 and the early adoption. This time around I wanted to go with a tested and tweaked platform. Yea, I know it's "on the way out" so-to-speak, but the 5900k platform will have at least another 3 years of updates, so I think that will give me plenty of time to figure out what will work for me and what won't. I still wish I had the money for an X99 machine, but it is what it is. LOL I seriously thought about a Threadripper build, but in the end I couldn't afford it, not knowing if this might endeavor might bear fruit. Long story short....

Who cares about my machine... Seriously. From one dad to another. I wish you the happiest of time with your latest addition to the family. Cherish the little moments, and celebrate the big ones.
Thanks man. Dude got 4 shots yesterday at the doctor and was running a fever last night but this morning all smiles so seems that might have surpassed thank god. This is both of our chance to "do better" since all the other kids are way older now.

Yea DDR5 can suck it, I'm sticking with my DDR4 and getting a DDR4 board and 12600k. By the time Raptor Lake comes out DDR5 will have faster speeds and more stock and maybe Gen 5 SSDs will be creeping out then. So with the 12600k and DDR4 move my 3700x to the oldest son, then when I move to Raptor Lake the 12600k goes to the wife and my server gets an X299 upgrade unless I move it to Threadripper before then. I'm seriously hoping we can get new GPUs next year. This is the longest I've stayed on the same GPU since I got those Titan X's in 2015.

Merry Christmas to me! My wife gave me the go-ahead to order what I wanted for Christmas and my local Lowes actually had it in stock. I had to stop by Walmart on the way so I picked up a couple of things to help break it in right.

The drawbacks to this plan were that the grill/smoker weighs 251 pounds in the box and it took me about 4.5 hours to put it together. Hopefully I will get a chance to do the burn off and initial seasoning tomorrow.

Stock image of one fully assembled (too tired to go back and take my own):

9800_5_LIFESTYLE_1600x1600_Hero_768x.png

Attachments

• 20211218_162202[1].jpg
    20211218_162202[1].jpg
    211 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211218_170025[1].jpg
    20211218_170025[1].jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211218_170039[1].jpg
    20211218_170039[1].jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 3
Nice! We got a 36" Blackstone as a wedding gift and I still have yet to season it and break it in.
Great wedding gift. I already have a Char-Griller Akorn (basically a steel Kamado Joe but for 1/3 the price) but have been jonesing over this one for months. I'm still on the fence about getting a griddle as I don't see me using one enough to justify the price but there's so much you can cook on it.

Merry Christmas to me! My wife gave me the go-ahead to order what I wanted for Christmas and my local Lowes actually had it in stock. I had to stop by Walmart on the way so I picked up a couple of things to help break it in right.

The drawbacks to this plan were that the grill/smoker weighs 251 pounds in the box and it took me about 4.5 hours to put it together. Hopefully I will get a chance to do the burn off and initial seasoning tomorrow.

Sweet! When I get back on the road, I'll park the truck at the pilot, and come by your house for dinner... :p

Looks amazing Trotter, Being in an apartment block I can only dream of something like this. You could imagine the nabours if something went wrong after grenfell over here.

Is it just me, or anybody regularly wake up randomly at like 2 too 3 AM in the morning?

Edit: Grenfell Tower Fire ..

Last edited:

That thing looks awesome! weighs almost exactly as much as I do as well!. Would love one, but would never fit in my yard.. I suspect the average american living room is bigger than my yard.

Looks amazing Trotter, Being in an apartment block I can only dream of something like this. You could imagine the nabours if something went wrong after grenfell over here.

Is it just me, or anybody regularly wake up randomly at like 2 too 3 AM in the morning?

Edit: Grenfell Tower Fire ..

Have you ever been tested for diabetes ? waking up at 3am with very low blood sugars is pretty common symptom. If you're not yet severely diabetic, your body would eventually recover your blood sugar levels without you doing anything or falling into a diabetic coma etc.

Back
Top Bottom