Transferring files to USB

bluenose1940

In Runtime
hello folks,
I'm not too sure that I've put this in the right place.

I have downloaded to my pc an update for the SatNav system in my car, the size of the file is 17.5gb and I am transferring it to a 32gb USB stick.

It seems that in order for the in-car system to be able to process this update, the file format has to be FAT32 but, when I come to do the transfer from my pc to the stick, I get an error message that says the file is too large for the destination file system. If I then format the stick to exFAT, the transfer works fine but the in-car system can't read the file.

Does anyone know how I can overcome this please. I have tried contacting the update provider but they are taking an eternity to get back to me.

Any help/guidance will be much appreciated. Thank you.

The last time I updated the nav system for my car, I used a cd disk (from the auto manufacture). 17.5 gb is an awfully big file. Are you sure your using the right file?
and.... I think when I did update my car, it also did a download too. I think it took about 10 to 15 minutes to finish the download from within the car. Are you using the original OEM nav software from the auto or nav manufacture or are you trying to get this from a third party?
The manufacture was also very specific to the model/year of the car and and serial number of the nav system in order to update it.

Last edited:
The last time I updated the nav system for my car, I used a cd disk. 17.5 gb is an awfully big file. Are you sure your using the right file?
Yes definitely the right file. It was sent to me by Peugeot. The 17.5gb file is for the maps. The original file was 23gb but that included the in-car systems too. That part of my car was already up-to-date so I just need the maps.

You have forgotten one small thing, namely that the maximum size of a FAT32 file is limited. That's 4GB. If you want to save a larger file, you must split the file or use a different file system.
For Linux, exFat works great, if it doesn't work for You, ie it doesn't work on Your car, you can try NTFS, there are no restrictions.

You have forgotten one small thing, namely that the maximum size of a FAT32 file is limited. That's 4GB. If you want to save a larger file, you must split the file or use a different file system.
For Linux, exFat works great, if it doesn't work for You, ie it doesn't work on Your car, you can try NTFS, there are no restrictions.
That 4 gb limitation is only a Windows restriction. A another third party software will allow more than 4 gb. The OP can use a *nix distro to do what he needs also, but I did not recommend that because I did not want to make this more complicated than necessary

Open the drive for the USB Flash Drive. Click in white empty space on the drive and press Ctrl and V (this is the Windows shortcut for paste) on the keyboard. This then copies the files from the PC memory to the USB Flash Drive.

Greetings,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom