Audio from displayport

What was mentioned about the higher bitrates in that article is why I want a higher bitrate if reasonably possible.

I don't want the audio extractor to be the weak link in the chain.

However I'll test the extractor at home today and see if I can get at least 24 bit 96KHz. If so then it may be a limitation of the motherboard video of the work pc.

I indeed have to listen so I can hear what sounds best.

Another thing I noticed is when the computer locks and the screens go off I have to power cycle the extractor and monitor in order to get the display back.

Would the fact that im going from displayport to HDMI into the extractor and HDMI to dvi out of the extractor have anything to do with my issue?

Basically I wanted to see if I could hear an audible improvement with the higher bitrate.

Last edited:
So I tried it at home in place of my capture card as I did not have a spare HDMI cable and I could select 24 bit 192kHz in the Windows audio settings for the device. Shows up as the Sharp TV which is my main monitor.

So could it just be that the motherboard video card can only output a maximum of 24 bit 48kHz audio?

If so that's a bummer as I have a device I cannot use which cost about $50 which is money I could have put towards a better video card for my main PC.

Also on my home PC when I plugged it in it worked as it should without any fiddling to make it work.

That also leads me to believe that the issue I have of the second monitor going blank when I play music from Apple Music or Amazon Music is the motherboard video of the work PC.

Not sure what my employer paid for those HP computers three years ago, but my 10 year old PC running Windows 10 seems to load things much faster and in my opinion is a better machine. Of course they run standard hard drives and I run a SSD plus the work PC has background programs that are required to run. I bet HP charged maximum price for a base model.

I could have possibly built a much better PC for less than or the same as what HP charged.

Last edited:
You could always just get a receiver off of Craig's list or Ebay. Most modern receivers do have HDMI input and usb ports. You can use the usb port to use your own usb drive with your personal music on it. I'm thinking you can get a decent used one for less than $100. This is just an example because it does not have a usb port, but it does have HDMI in/out
Denon 1909 7.1 receiver
With a little effort you could probably find something with a usb port too

I can't even bring in a thumb drive to work.
HDMI from a audio receiver should work for you, and you'll get more options to adjust loudness, bass and treble settings. Personally I like the way stereo analog audio sounds, it was meant to sound that way to begin with.

Last edited:
But if the motherboard video card can only output 24 bit 48 kHz audio maximum then I really gain nothing.

Plus the receiver would be larger and with HDMI newer and maybe not as likely to last as long as my lafayette LA-375 amp has. Also I don't have much room for anything much wider than what I already have.

Plus the system sounds real good as is with the speakers I have and I don't want to take the chance of messing up the sound.

You know how it is. When you get it just right you don't want to risk messing it up.

I do like the receiver idea though and thanks for the suggestion. The receiver would actually be better in some respects as some have active crossovers built in for the speakers and subwoofer output which would be much better than the single capacitor high pass in each speaker and the plate amp's low pass filter.

I tend to gravitate more to vintage audio as the quality pieces are usually very reliable and easy to fix with parts or suitable subs that are still available.

does not matter to an extent what the pc outputs because the receiver will convert the HDMI audio to an analog audio signal, which depends on the quality of the amplifier in your receiver. On a scope it would go from a multiple of digital pixel sine wave(s) to an analog single smooth sine wave(s). Vintage receivers do not have the capability to convert digital the analog because digital did not exist back then. This is the reason that I use a DAC for my audio from my pc, because I do use a vintage receiver too.

Last edited:
The quality of the analog will be determined by what the PC puts out.

However can video cards limit the bitrate of the audio to a certain maximum?

Back
Top Bottom