When are we going to reach a point where we have enough ram?

Draygoes

Fully Optimized
Are ram sticks ever going to get so powerful or just so readily available that we simply have so much ram in each computer that we don't really ever have to think about it again?
I'm talking like TB of ram or something. Just... soooo much ram.

Thoughts?

Are ram sticks ever going to get so powerful or just so readily available that we simply have so much ram in each computer that we don't really ever have to think about it again?
I'm talking like TB of ram or something. Just... soooo much ram.

Thoughts?
I mean a couple 16GB sticks is enough. I've had variations of 32-64GB of RAM for the past 8 years and never needed more for regular computing. If you really wanted to spend money, you could always get a Threadripper or Xeon build and go for the 256GB sticks.

I have mostly been content at 16GB for 10? 12? years now. Sometimes I would like 32GB, but, just don't have a real need for it in my desktop.

10 years ago, the normal maximum amount on a motherboard was 32GB, today it's 64 to 128GB, but the majority of builds (Today) probably wont benefit from 32GB or 64GB, forget 128GB. I would wager it being another 5 years at least before the majority really need 32GB.

It all eventually boils down to, what are you doing?

I can come up with work loads that could use 64GB or more of RAM, but those workloads aren't something I would ever do for either work, or entertainment.

Though, if you Minecraft, and play with mods, you could easily use 32GB of RAM... Friggen ATM3.

I have enough ram. 64GB
I run a bunch of VM's, so I need every MB of that.
But my reason for asking this is, what is the theoretical final number? 15TB of ram? At what point does someone have so much ram that developers will never have to think if it again?

Another way to ask this question would be; How long until we figure out a way to give people nearly unlimited amounts of ram in every system?

I have enough ram. 64GB
I run a bunch of VM's, so I need every MB of that.
But my reason for asking this is, what is the theoretical final number? 15TB of ram? At what point does someone have so much ram that developers will never have to think if it again?

Another way to ask this question would be; How long until we figure out a way to give people nearly unlimited amounts of ram in every system?
My theory has always been we get to insane levels of L3 cache with a tech like HBM2 built in for RAM.

Not sure if your point went thru to everyone. Or to me, who knows ;)

My thought is that there's no telling neither how much we will reach or if we will reach a max amount to stop at. The way RAM is used now might give ideas but who knows how it will be used in the future. Maybe new methods will emerge to make us keep adding RAM just like the way we do with storage now.

Back
Top Bottom