How do I find out which ports are USB 3?

Draygoes

Fully Optimized
Hi all!
My ports on my laptop are not clearly marked, yet my device manager says that two of them are usb 3+
I need to know which ports are and are not 3+
How do I find that out? Is there a program that I can use?
It's a Dell Inspiron 17 series 5000.
And hey, don't make fun. This thing was a beast when it was new. We've seen a lot together, so I'm repurposing the girl as a home workstation/server for random needs.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Ok, OR. I wrote this on another forum and want to post it here as a second way to explain myself and add an idea.

Is there a program that I can put on a flash drive that will display the port number and type that the flash drive is plugged into?

I can't see any easy way to identify what port is usb 3 and what port is usb 2 just by looking at it on my laptop. I see blue, and that's about it. As in the color.
I just want to know which is which, and the easiest way to do that which I can think of is to simply have a program describe it's port to me, but I don't even know if that's possible.

So what do you guys think? Is there something like that out there?
How else can I figure it out?
This is maddeningly simple yet so far out of reach. ?

When one place adds a solution, I will post it in the other so as to make the thread valuable as if it were answered here. :)

On the right side, there is just one USB 2.0 port; all others (on the left side) are USB 3. This is true of all Dell laptops as old as or newer than yours, regardless of whether or not they contain a DVD/CD drive. Take a look at Below

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom