Turn on pc with smart plug/google home

Az3v3d0

Beta member
Hi,
I recently bought tp-link tapo p100 smart plug, and I have already enable power on in the bios AC Power Loss and nothing happen, can you help me turn on my pc with the smart plug, because o already have de smart plug configurated on google home App.
Thanks!

I know this is not what you want to hear but......Walk up to the pc, fully extend your index finger, push the button on the pc. Or just use the sleep mode and it'll wake up with the mouse movement.
Seriously....computers use a push button to start. Which acts like a temporary jumper between two pins on the motherboard. If you really want to remotely start your pc then your have to get something like a smart wireless start button.

Last edited:
Edit: it would be in your best interest to leave the wall power on to your pc because that also keeps your cmos battery charged while the pc is turned off. By disconnecting the 120v/240v to your pc you will shorten the cmos battery life.

Hi,
I recently bought tp-link tapo p100 smart plug, and I have already enable power on in the bios AC Power Loss and nothing happen, can you help me turn on my pc with the smart plug, because o already have de smart plug configurated on google home App.
Thanks!
Look into Wake on LAN and Magic Packets. They don't have anything to do with the smart plug, unfortunately. I'm not sure if any smart plugs support WoL functionality.
Edit: it would be in your best interest to leave the wall power on to your pc because that also keeps your cmos battery charged while the pc is turned off. By disconnecting the 120v/240v to your pc you will shorten the cmos battery life.
CMOS batteries aren't rechargeable. They're just lithium cell coin batteries. The board doesn't draw much power for them, other than for BIOS settings & the clock, which allows the batteries to last for many years, usually.

Hi,
Thanks!
Are you positive the settings are retained? Most motherboards that support that Power On After Power Failure feature have three choices, though they may not be worded exactly as below...

Power On
Power On if power lost when on
Power Off...

In your situation, you are going to want straight up Power On, and not the second option.

I would urge that you look into something like a Raspberry Pi on your network, and set it up to act as a WOL server, and enable the Magic Packet feature mentioned by CarnageX, on your Network Card in each computer you want to be able to remotely wake. https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/use-raspberry-pi-wol/

Once you get that figured out, there are other apps that you can interface with the Pi and issue commands easily.

Alternatively... They do have remote power buttons available for desktop machines, though, they have their own limitations. https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-...5ZMPKW6/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B075ZMPKW6&psc=1

CMOS batteries aren't rechargeable. They're just lithium cell coin batteries. The board doesn't draw much power for them, other than for BIOS settings & the clock, which allows the batteries to last for many years, usually.
You are correct that they do not recharge but when you disconnect the main power supply, you'll still shorten the cmos battery's life
The CMOS battery is only used when the system isn't connected to any other power source. So most of the time they're not being discharged at all, and a battery designed for such use can handle sitting on a shelf for several years without losing much of its charge. Until you unplug your PC and find that your BIOS settings have been reset, you probably won't know that the battery has died. https://superuser.com/questions/251765/is-a-cmos-battery-rechargeable

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. Keep in mind that changing the smart plug model without adjusting the intensity. In your case, buying a new smart plug is better than trying to fix the problem by using the amazon smart plugs. They have better compatibility, and you don't have to spend much time establishing the appropriate options in the application settings. If you need my help choosing the smart plugs, let me know. I will be glad to help. I bought plenty of them while I was travelling across multiple countries.

Back
Top Bottom