Potentially the longest thread in history...

I generally just buy whatever phone I think is best at the time. I've had most iPhones, but also Galaxy Note 2, Note 5 and the Z Fold2 (for about a month anyway). I had a HTC phone I can't even remember the name of as well.

I still really want a z Fold3. But i'm so embedded in Apple world now that it might be a bit of a dumb move. For a start I wear an Apple Watch so that'd have to go. I have an iPad and Apple TV as well. So really I should just get the iPhone 13 next month. But it doesn't really interest me. It's just going to be faster, with modestly better cameras and 120hz screen. The 120hz is nice but nothing crazy. The z Fold3 offers something totally different and the big screen is a game changer for me. But do I want to pay that much for it and also essentially nerf all my other Apple products... ?

I wish I could just fast forward to 2025 when Apple release a folding phone and pretend they're the first to do it.

edit:

I actually have this theory that I do not perceive the 120hz difference as much as other people. I am generally a huge display nerd, and while I do like the 120hz on my monitor and iPad Pro, it doesn't blow me away. It's a moderate improvement over 60hz. I've restarted my PC causing it to default to 60hz before and not even realised for a few hours of desktop use. Whereas when I see other people talk about it, it seems like 60hz causes their eyes to bleed.

Been playing a game called Vintage Story recently.. It's basically Minecraft on hard mode. I love it

I generally just buy whatever phone I think is best at the time. I've had most iPhones, but also Galaxy Note 2, Note 5 and the Z Fold2 (for about a month anyway). I had a HTC phone I can't even remember the name of as well.

I still really want a z Fold3. But i'm so embedded in Apple world now that it might be a bit of a dumb move. For a start I wear an Apple Watch so that'd have to go. I have an iPad and Apple TV as well. So really I should just get the iPhone 13 next month. But it doesn't really interest me. It's just going to be faster, with modestly better cameras and 120hz screen. The 120hz is nice but nothing crazy. The z Fold3 offers something totally different and the big screen is a game changer for me. But do I want to pay that much for it and also essentially nerf all my other Apple products... ?

I wish I could just fast forward to 2025 when Apple release a folding phone and pretend they're the first to do it.

edit:

I actually have this theory that I do not perceive the 120hz difference as much as other people. I am generally a huge display nerd, and while I do like the 120hz on my monitor and iPad Pro, it doesn't blow me away. It's a moderate improvement over 60hz. I've restarted my PC causing it to default to 60hz before and not even realised for a few hours of desktop use. Whereas when I see other people talk about it, it seems like 60hz causes their eyes to bleed.
Comparing her 11 to my 12 Pro there's a significant difference in percepted speed when using basic apps and the cameras are exceptionally better. I think 11 Pro to 13 Pro will be a bit more than modest in terms of the difference you see. In fact there's such a difference that she almost didn't wait to upgrade when I went in to get my iPad. What's funny is I feel my iPad Air is just more responsive and generally faster still than my iPhone even though the iPad has slightly less specs all around.

In terms of refresh, for me it's more I feel it rather than see it, on the PC. Mind you I also have a 240hz screen, but when I plug in one of my retro PCs I can immediately feel the difference in mouse response. In XP I can manage to make it squeeze out 75hz over DVI and even that makes a noticeable difference compared to the 60. Mobile devices on the other hand, I can scroll on the iPad and see it as 60hz, but it doesn't really affect me while on the phone doing the same things. It's weird.

Comparing her 11 to my 12 Pro there's a significant difference in percepted speed when using basic apps and the cameras are exceptionally better. I think 11 Pro to 13 Pro will be a bit more than modest in terms of the difference you see. In fact there's such a difference that she almost didn't wait to upgrade when I went in to get my iPad. What's funny is I feel my iPad Air is just more responsive and generally faster still than my iPhone even though the iPad has slightly less specs all around.

In terms of refresh, for me it's more I feel it rather than see it, on the PC. Mind you I also have a 240hz screen, but when I plug in one of my retro PCs I can immediately feel the difference in mouse response. In XP I can manage to make it squeeze out 75hz over DVI and even that makes a noticeable difference compared to the 60. Mobile devices on the other hand, I can scroll on the iPad and see it as 60hz, but it doesn't really affect me while on the phone doing the same things. It's weird.

Interesting that you find the 12 camera much better. I checked a few reviews when it came out, and during daylight the difference didn't seem obvious at all compared to the 11. There was only a more obvious advantage at night. Though, I didn't invest much time in finding out the opinions and reviews of more reliable photography orientated people.

Interesting that you find the 12 camera much better. I checked a few reviews when it came out, and during daylight the difference didn't seem obvious at all compared to the 11. There was only a more obvious advantage at night. Though, I didn't invest much time in finding out the opinions and reviews of more reliable photography orientated people.
I never looked at reviews as this phone hit in my "treat yo self" 2 year upgrade cycle. I only noticed after I started snapping photos that in all conditions my photos looked better than hers. Mind you, she has an 11 not an 11 Pro.

Still probably gonna order the iPhone 13 Pro tomorrow or whenever preorders come out. The phone bores me to death, but my 64GB 11 Pro Max is two years old and constantly out of space, I need 128GB+. My heart still wants the z Fold3 still but i'm just not gonna do that while I own so many complimentary Apple products.

120hz and better cameras are always nice I guess. Just nothing super exciting. Apple kind of find themselves in this ironic situation where the success and sales numbers they have mean can't really easily put out any groundbreaking technologies on their new phones anymore. They need technologies that they can find suppliers for that can push out 100 million plus units per year, meaning they have to be pretty mature technologies to manufacture at such scale.

Im excited for their AR headset though. Apparently 8K display per eye and it's gonna be like $3000 as a developer unit. After owning most VR/AR devices for the past 5 years, i'm still waiting for a high quality solution to come out.

They need to put out mature stuff so they don't have massive failures like the first fold. Still feel like there's gonna be a price hike because of the TSMC tax, makes me glad my upgrade isn't until next year. The way I look at it is I use my phone for certain tasks and I need it to do that perfectly and fast. If the next phone does that better than the last I'm good.

Back
Top Bottom