laptop random restarts

tara811

Beta member
Acer Aspire 8735G Series

4 Gig Ram

160 gb HD

I attempted changing the hard drive, taking out the laptop battery, changing the power cord, cleaning the computer with air duster, reformatting, reinstalling windows, taking out ram sticks and putting them back in and still, this laptop will restart at random, usually before I can get a full reinstall done of windows. It also restarts when shut down (turns on by itself). It doesn't have time to run hot so I don't see how it is a heating issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I know it is an older laptop, however, I only used it for 2 years since I bought it about 11 years ago brand new, so it hasn't seen much usage.

I also tried updating the bios and the bios doesn't have an advanced option for usb flashing. So I tried the windows environment install and it said Bios failed to update.

Link to acer support for my specific model:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/1782?b=1

Thanks

Tara

If you say that your computer turns on itself, even when it's turned off, it's quite likely that some installed programs or services allowed automatically to wake up your computer. This could be from the wrong BIOS setting or the wrong battery setting. Rarely also wrong Ethernet/LAN or WiFi settings.
It is difficult to guess anything else from the data provided, but there may be also many different reasons.
Maybe only one recommendation - remove everything, ie all wires and USB's and what ever there is, let stay only laptop as it came from factory and look, what then happens.

I tried a factory reset on different hard drives. Format + reinstall. Still restarts before adding any software. Sometimes restarts while trying to install windows after a format.

Check the keyboard for any stuck down keys, if they are sticky from liquids or very dirty, you may be also looking at a new keyboard

Back
Top Bottom