Broken Display Laptop, HDMI not working.

Gabbriel

Solid State Member
A friend of mine gave me a decent specs laptop without a display, it was broken and dismantled apart. The system does boot up and works completly fine but the main problem is that there is no display to work with and log in for doing the Win + P method. I have tried connecting it to HDMI but the FN + F10 change display output does not work.
What could I do to make it connect to an external monitor or TV ?
Would VGA display be completly different and show up even if I don't change the output?

I have tried connecting it to HDMI but the FN + F10 change display output does not work.
Connecting what to the HDMI?

How can you be sure it is booting up if you have no display?
You should be able to connect any hdmi tv or a second monitor to the HDMI port on the laptop just to see if it will boot up

Connecting what to the HDMI?

How can you be sure it is booting up if you have no display?
You should be able to connect any hdmi tv or a second monitor to the HDMI port on the laptop just to see if it will boot up
Tried connecting it to the TV, the HDMI worked fine with my other laptop. By booting up i meant that the Fan starts and the lights aswell. The interior isn't damaged and the hardware is in its place. Has windows 10.
The laptop has Intel core i3 and Geforce 635M(NotSure) with 6GB of RAM.
This link may help you with it if needed.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z500/

Last edited:
Hi Gabbriel, You might want to check the display properties on the computer to ensure that your computer is detecting the monitor. You may need to select the make and model of the monitor from the list of the display properties in order for your computer to detect an external monitor.

Hi Gabbriel, You might want to check the display properties on the computer to ensure that your computer is detecting the monitor. You may need to select the make and model of the monitor from the list of the display properties in order for your computer to detect an external monitor.
I've mentioned that the display is gone, how can you do it without even seeing it..

Please disregard my message. I tried deleting this message but there is no way to delete. Sorry I missed the fact that you have no display.
All good. I've got an older laptop that I'll dismantle and see if the video cable matches this laptop in order to check if it still runs properly even if I've been told it does. I'm looking further for assistance and other options for HDMI or VGA

Tried connecting it to the TV, the HDMI worked fine with my other laptop. By booting up i meant that the Fan starts and the lights aswell. The interior isn't damaged and the hardware is in its place. Has windows 10.
The laptop has Intel core i3 and Geforce 635M(NotSure) with 6GB of RAM.
This link may help you with it if needed.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z500/
sounds like you could have a bad video card on the motherboard, to better check you should remove the video cable from the motherboard and recheck with your hdmi tv
Edit: 99% of the time if your other laptop is not the same brand or even the same model, it is unlikely that your parts will be compatible.

(This is by design)

Back
Top Bottom