Windows 10 audio issue

Soubd card isn't the issue as for the last week I've used a known good USB sound card and same issue.

Seems to me like all the other hardware is working just fine as well.

It's too predictable to be a hardware issue in my opinion.

I've currently left the PC up and I can go now and restart and I'd have the issue. I can then restart again and the issue is gone.

Soubd card isn't the issue as for the last week I've used a known good USB sound card and same issue.

Seems to me like all the other hardware is working just fine as well.

It's too predictable to be a hardware issue in my opinion.

I've currently left the PC up and I can go now and restart and I'd have the issue. I can then restart again and the issue is gone.
Hmm, It sounds like there may be incorrect BIOS Settings. Some PC's have audio set up in the BIOS. I would check that to ensure the correct settings are selected for the audio device if possible.

Do you have external speakers plugged in or are you just using internal built in speakers?

If you have external speakers you can check to see if the speaker is plugged into the correct ports and is securely connected.

The sound card is a pro audio sound card and has outputs on the rear and inputs on the front.

The other PCI sound card I did use (unplugged it) had a plug in cable for inputs and outputs and everything was clearly labeled.

I can check BIOS but I don't think it has anything for audio settings.

The sound card is a pro audio sound card and has outputs on the rear and inputs on the front.

The other PCI sound card I did use (unplugged it) had a plug in cable for inputs and outputs and everything was clearly labeled.

I can check BIOS but I don't think it has anything for audio settings.

You may be right about the BIOS settings but it wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe there is a setting in the BIOS that is causing your audio to be choppy on every other boot and was thinking it may need to be disabled or incorrect BIOS settings just to name a few ideas.

You can spring ideas off off my comment and could be a clue that gets you closer to resolving the issue. I know it works for me when I brainstorm ideas for a resolution, especially when we collaborate as a team. :)

Last edited:
Unless a Windows update changed the BIOS (if that's even possible) then it shouldn't be a setting.

However could it be another setting that doesn't play well with an update?

And if so with BIOS set the exact same on both PCs wouldn't it affect them both?

The only differences between the two PCs is the processor and a video card and the power supply.

One uses a faster processor, a PCI-E video card and a 500 watt power supply and the other that works fine doesn't, uses the stock power supply and uses motherboard video. I don't have the processor names handy but I can get them when I get home.

However those were installed before the issue happened.

Also the PC with the better processor and video card has the processor overclocked and video card overclocked and I want to say the issue was there either before I tried overclocking or happened some point after overclocking. I However did disable overclocking and still had the same issue.

Unless a Windows update changed the BIOS (if that's even possible) then it shouldn't be a setting.

However could it be another setting that doesn't play well with an update?

And if so with BIOS set the exact same on both PCs wouldn't it affect them both?

The only differences between the two PCs is the processor and a video card and the power supply.

One uses a faster processor, a PCI-E video card and a 500 watt power supply and the other that works fine doesn't, uses the stock power supply and uses motherboard video. I don't have the processor names handy but I can get them when I get home.

However those were installed before the issue happened.

Also the PC with the better processor and video card has the processor overclocked and video card overclocked and I want to say the issue was there either before I tried overclocking or happened some point after overclocking. I However did disable overclocking and still had the same issue.

Yes, You would think it would happen to both pc's. There is something about the hardware or some type of corruption in either the file extensions or the system itself with the faulty audio. You have already tried all other troubleshooting methods. Try checking the file extension for the audio to ensure the default is set to MPEG. If that doesn't work, my only suggestion and last resort would be to try reformatting the operating system.

Ikonix360, When you replaced the sound card with a new one, did you update the firmware? I was thinking maybe the system was detecting the old sound card that is corrupted.

You might want to try a disk clean up as well.

Back
Top Bottom