Potentially the longest thread in history...

I've always hated needles myself but had to learn to give myself insulin injections twice a day. I have to go have blood drawn every 6 months or so and it really depends on how good that person is at their job. I've had newbies that tried multiple stabs without hitting the vein but then have had others that hit the vein first time, every time.

I've always hated needles myself but had to learn to give myself insulin injections twice a day. I have to go have blood drawn every 6 months or so and it really depends on how good that person is at their job. I've had newbies that tried multiple stabs without hitting the vein but then have had others that hit the vein first time, every time.
I've had that happen more than one time too... Some noob will dig around inside your arm hopelessly trying to hit the vein. Then after 10 minutes of treating me like some kinda sewing pin cushion they get somebody with experience. The next day I will have a gigantic bruise on my arm.

This was basically the kick in my ass to make me drop sugar so I don't become diabetic.

I want to take a jab but in your position right now that's a real shit place to be in. I fucking hate having blood drawn.
It was a bit of a sharp prick but nothing too painful. I just looked away. Though she had to do it twice as the needle puller slipped on the first try. So I got to experience it twice, and now they lost my results. Great first time experience with having my blood drawn.

Though I really dont want to have it done again, but I need too. Maybe on the other arm this time.

Well atleast it's completely free with it being NHS. Free, but shit :ROFLMAO:

It's not that painful to get jabbed with a needle to draw blood!!
Try getting a shot for shingles! I just got one about two weeks ago and it made a covid shot look like nothing! That bugger could be felt. Gotta get a second one sometime in August

I've had that happen more than one time too... Some noob will dig around inside your arm hopelessly trying to hit the vein. Then after 10 minutes of treating me like some kinda sewing pin cushion they get somebody with experience. The next day I will have a gigantic bruise on my arm.
i had one that was so bad i had to insert it myself! Some know how to , some want to learn how and those that shouldn't get near a needle

It was a bit of a sharp prick but nothing too painful. I just looked away. Though she had to do it twice as the needle puller slipped on the first try. So I got to experience it twice, and now they lost my results. Great first time experience with having my blood drawn.

Though I really dont want to have it done again, but I need too. Maybe on the other arm this time.

Ahaha you knew exactly what I was going to say. Although stuff like this would be free for me too.
It's not that painful to get jabbed with a needle to draw blood!!
Try getting a shot for shingles! I just got one about two weeks ago and it made a covid shot look like nothing! That bugger could be felt. Gotta get a second one sometime in August
It is if they don't know what they're doing. I'm lucky my spouse would be doing it for me and I know she's good at it. Still don't want to do it.

I have a really good vein on the inside of my left elbow. I have blood work every 3-4 months to keep tabs on my medication levels so it is old hat to me. Needles have never bothered me anyway; I would rather get a shot and get the ball rolling quicker.

My wife has to self-inject insulin. She uses insulin pens so the needle is super short, goes into the abdomen.

How is insulin for you guys ? I heard you get charged a fortune for it - though I guess it depends what cover you get off your insurance. I hope I don't have to go straight to insulin but my levels were pretty damn high so i'm half expecting them to suggest I do so.

Ahaha you knew exactly what I was going to say. Although stuff like this would be free for me too.

It is if they don't know what they're doing. I'm lucky my spouse would be doing it for me and I know she's good at it. Still don't want to do it.

NHS is a blessing and a curse. It's absolutely amazing that you can turn up to the doctors every week, get all sorts of hospital treatment, and there is nothing to sign, no paperwork to fill in, no bills to pay. Just tell the receptionist your name and who you're booked in with and that's all the admin you have to do. The downside is it's chronically underfunded, every doctors office and hospital has a different IT system that really isn't that well integrated with each other. There should be an app to just view your NHS profile but there isn't, except at like two hospitals that are trialling it. It gets about $180bn a year in funding but it needs a great deal more to be up there with the best.

At the end of the day you will get the treatment you need but there is going to be more waiting around than there is in countries with private healthcare systems. A lot of people like me that work for decent companies have private healthcare as well now if you want a faster process and it only costs me £8 a month as a taxable benefit on my paycheck, so I will probably go down that route for long term management of diabetes - but they will only support you once you have an initial referal from the NHS.

Just read this statistic: The cost of diabetes to the NHS is over £1.5m an hour or 10% of the NHS budget for England and Wales. This equates to over £25,000 being spent on diabetes every minute.

Yikes. Ohwell I pay tax and now I get my money's worth.

Last edited:
How is insulin for you guys ? I heard you get charged a fortune for it - though I guess it depends what cover you get off your insurance. I hope I don't have to go straight to insulin but my levels were pretty damn high so i'm half expecting them to suggest I do so.
Without insurance she would be screwed. She takes two diabetes meds plus insulin; one med is old and cheap, the other is like 750/month w/o insurance, and her insulin is 600/month w/o insurance. With her insurance and a drug company program discount they run us 80 and 60 per month.

Back
Top Bottom