Network question

Oh ok. The router is the cable modem. Has four ethernet ports in addition to the Wi-Fi.

The switch i dont know what to get yet.

However I'll try streaming and playing first with the ethernet to see if my one computer can handle it.

Just gotta figure out how to get the cable in my building.

Since the cable is going in the air from the house to the building (same route an old phone line to my dad's shop took) I may put a hole near the roof of my building to route the cable inside. Unless it's better to secure the cable to the outside of the building and bring it up through the floor.

Oh ok. The router is the cable modem. Has four ethernet ports in addition to the Wi-Fi.

The switch i dont know what to get yet.

However I'll try streaming and playing first with the ethernet to see if my one computer can handle it.

Just gotta figure out how to get the cable in my building.

Since the cable is going in the air from the house to the building (same route an old phone line to my dad's shop took) I may put a hole near the roof of my building to route the cable inside. Unless it's better to secure the cable to the outside of the building and bring it up through the floor.
Depends on the situation, but if there is already a cable suspended I would secure the ethernet cable just like the phone cable. I used to do this when I lived with my parents after they lost their house. I used an "indoor" standard Cat 5e and it actually held up to Texas storms, straight line winds, and the summer heat. It was only 6 months though, so if this is a permanent solution I'd get that proper cable and do it right so you won't have to revisit this again later. Where the cable meets each building I would try to cushion the outside sleeve with something like caulking or a rubber sleeve for more protection from wind movement.

This unmanaged switch would do the trick.
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Spl...9018845&sprefix=tp+link+switch,aps,175&sr=8-3

The phone line isn't there anymore. I remember how it was routed though so I can do the same with the ehernet cable.

The smart thing to do would be to route the modem into the building and use wifi for the rest but my dad watches youtube on a smart TV and that needs a good Wi-Fi signal.

The phone line isn't there anymore. I remember how it was routed though so I can do the same with the ehernet cable.

The smart thing to do would be to route the modem into the building and use wifi for the rest but my dad watches youtube on a smart TV and that needs a good Wi-Fi signal.
And those ISP provided modem combos have shitty wifi chipsets with almost no gain. If you did that you'd have to reroute the coax as well.

I bought the modem myself only because I didn't want to pay a rental fee each month so I made sure to get a good one.

I would have to reroute the coax, but the modem used to be in my dad's shop which is a few feet from my building so the coax would reach.

Now the house is a double wide and has a vent to the outside in the room the modem and my second pc is in and that's where I ran the coax through.

I bought the modem myself only because I didn't want to pay a rental fee each month so I made sure to get a good one.

I would have to reroute the coax, but the modem used to be in my dad's shop which is a few feet from my building so the coax would reach.

Now the house is a double wide and has a vent to the outside in the room the modem and my second pc is in and that's where I ran the coax through.
No matter which one it is, they're all produced cheaply.

Agreed.

This one I wound up early on putting a 5" computer fan blowing in the side vents as it was in my dad's shop which gets hot in the summer. Last year with the modem in the house I cut a hole in the side the same size as the fan and double sided taped the fan to the modem.

I also cut a hole in the top so that air would flow through easier and it would be easier to blow the dust out without disassembly.

I'll order the 100' cable next Thursday if I have the money.

My thinking is to put a hole in the wall next to the corner of the wall inside so that I can run the cable down the wall. There's an old electrical pole maybe 3' from the building I'll attach the cable to and it will run to the next pole by the house which was for the old telephone line. I'll then run that to the vent and into the room.

I'll order the switch if I find that I still cannot stream reliably on the one PC while playing the game. I'll then need an HDMI capture card for the other PC or get a USB 3 card and a USB 3 HDMI capture device.

Your better option might be to run that line underground, it won't susceptible to weather and u.v. rays from the sun. Get some below grade conduit and run it inside of that, won't have to be very deep.

Back
Top Bottom