What You've Just Bought!

@PP Mguire

Looking at that photo you've posted, I'm sitting here like WOW, WTF man. What is it you are running. Why the need for all the space and drives? You have more than peeked my curiosity . Are you running some sort of media sharing service. If this is down to possible media content such as full seasons of various shows, back ups of possible OS's and even utility's and programs for your windows network, I'm going to be honest and that looks incredible .

Even tho I posted I cant necessarily afford a new GPU, because digital storage is so cheap I could afford to by some additional HDD's, external or internal, either way. But I have no idea what I would do them them. I have about 11 too 13 drives being SATA sitting in cupboard but have no use for them. Asking an honest question PP, any ideas ? Is their something I could do, maybe set something up, give me something to do for a change .

But yeah man, that looks incredible . :thumbsup:

@PP Mguire

Looking at that photo you've posted, I'm sitting here like WOW, WTF man. What is it you are running. Why the need for all the space and drives? You have more than peeked my curiosity . Are you running some sort of media sharing service. If this is down to possible media content such as full seasons of various shows, back ups of possible OS's and even utility's and programs for your windows network, I'm going to be honest and that looks incredible .

Even tho I posted I cant necessarily afford a new GPU, because digital storage is so cheap I could afford to by some additional HDD's, external or internal, either way. But I have no idea what I would do them them. I have about 11 too 13 drives being SATA sitting in cupboard but have no use for them. Asking an honest question PP, any ideas ? Is their something I could do, maybe set something up, give me something to do for a change .

Eh.... PP likes competing with those Amazon AWS servers

@PP Mguire

Ha, I feel like I answer this maybe once or twice a year here but it's all good. Plex and game servers is all I do now. I dropped all my other servers and services for a simplified one machine rack. Drivepool R is media. TV, movies, music, apps, and my audio test files. This pool has a 1TB NVMe cache to compensate for slow HDDs.
6TB and 3TB extra are games. Not installed games, just ISOs, GOG copies, console games, etc. Also acted as a media overflow for a short period and I just never moved it over but I will when the new drive comes in.
Drivepool S is an SSD pool. This hosts the Plex metadata and transcode data as well as Ombi, game servers, AME watch folder, iPhone incoming, game recording incoming, and my spouse's main folder for her podcast stuff.
SSD Incoming is for active downloads from the browser or FTP client, it's also an NVMe drive.
1TB Samsung is a cold backup for my external SSD on my main PC which holds pictures, videos, band recordings, and things I actually care to keep. It stays offline and powered down normally, but I have it on for when the 18TB comes in to replace it in that bay and it will be stored in a safe spot.

As to your stuff, idk man, whatever you want to do.

Eh.... PP likes competing with those Amazon AWS servers
This kinda setup is actually rather small these days compared to some dudes. All of my personal friends except maybe 1 or 2 have over 1PB of storage capacity, run Unraid or Linux, and have way more complicated setups than I do. Out of everybody I personally know I'm the only one with the best networking though.

I just bought everything i need for a new build. Bought a ryzen 5 2600, 16 gigs of ram, a asus b450 motherboard a 1tb m.2 storage card and a coolmaster cooler for the cpu. So, looks like next week should be building it and getting a dual boot windows 10/windows 7. Both have there own drive so i may not have any issues. Will see how it works. The reason i went with 2nd gen is for windows7. It isn't supposed to screw it up like 3rd gen would. Guess we will find out. Later for now.

I just bought everything i need for a new build. Bought a ryzen 5 2600, 16 gigs of ram, a asus b450 motherboard a 1tb m.2 storage card and a coolmaster cooler for the cpu. So, looks like next week should be building it and getting a dual boot windows 10/windows 7. Both have there own drive so i may not have any issues. Will see how it works. The reason i went with 2nd gen is for windows7. It isn't supposed to screw it up like 3rd gen would. Guess we will find out. Later for now.
Windows 7 does not have the drivers for that cpu or m.2 storage.... You'll either have to load them manually or slipstream with an install.
Fernando at Win Raid can provide the drivers you'll need to install and use Windows 7
https://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

Last edited:
Yesterday I picked up a Scott 325R receiver in Lansing, Had to go to a very nasty looking neighborhood to get it and it was pretty dirty but it cleaned up very nicely and sounds great!

Windows 7 does not have the drivers for that cpu or m.2 storage.... You'll either have to load them manually or slipstream with an install.
Fernando at Win Raid can provide the drivers you'll need to install and use Windows 7
https://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html
And since you need to go that far it would have made more sense to go 3rd gen in the end. It's actually easier to install XP on Ryzen than it is Windows 7, at least from a convenience standpoint.

I was told that second gen would work with W7 but third would not. I guess i will find out. The M.2 is for windows 10 pro. Gonna keep this ssd drive for windows 7 and another for back up.

Backup drive has the photos and music on it but also some other things i needed to save on it. I was told that 1st and 2nd ryzens would work with older os like windows 7. i am sure the ryzen 5 with 6 cores and threads will handle the gaming i do as most are older games.The dual core is working for the most part for the games. I do have one that is bottle necking though

I was told that second gen would work with W7 but third would not. I guess i will find out. The M.2 is for windows 10 pro. Gonna keep this ssd drive for windows 7 and another for back up.
It's not about the CPU, but motherboard support. It also isn't an AMD thing but more so a Microsoft thing. The two workarounds you need are the USB one
https://www.overclock.net/threads/g...atisse-ryzen-3000-zen-2-on-x370-x470.1731246/

That thread also references Winraid for making bootable USB etc. The other workaround is for Windows updates where it does a check and gives you an unsupported hardware message. If you care about using Windows Updates in W7, see here.
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

Neither of these are CPU generation specific.

Back
Top Bottom