performance slowly degrading

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
about 6 months ago i started playing destiny 2 and had no issues running it at 4k resolution
ran minecraft at 4k on full specs with minimal issues for long time also

over last few months since i installed destiny 2 the game performance was getting worse and worse
at first it was just random freezes of the character
then the game started getting worse
and maps started freezing
and now the game freezes and shuts down completely
i thought the game was just sucking more and more with every new update because all the issues were in the recently added planets but now it freezes everywhere. with or without any intense action

in addition minecraft runs like crap as well.
i updated the driver again
and everything else runs good except gamesi can open like 20 youtube videos on each of the 4k screens without issue.

in other words only game performance seems to be suffering but not desktop performance

lol i know it seems like a weak card but so far it has proven to be capable for everything i throw at it
its been running fine until about 3 weeks ago...
gradually turning to crap with every update. to a point where i stopped playing it.
when i downloaded new light it ran smooth as butter.

i run minecraft on highest settings with no issues for few years already.
also loaded up metro exodus at 4k to see and that one was a little slow but still playable.

destiny 2 even switching to 1080p resolution is still having same issues with freezing and crashing so its not related to gpu load or resolution
it has been optimized since day one and no useless programs running in background.

how can i tell whether its the game or my pc that is causing these issues, i feel like the geme has been slacking in optimization with every update because the issues are accumulating gradually as time passes with no other changes to my pc. i havent installed anything else since installing destiny2

i've been using underpowered pcs for gaming since like 98 so i do know how to squeeze every bit of power out of these turds....
just forgot how to troubleshoot windows issues when it stops workign properly.
used to have all the programs and stuff but havent played games for more than 10 years and forgot alot.

Me too until recent years, it's where most of my knowledge comes from that I've kept up with. The difference is what you may consider acceptable vs what I do. 10fps in 4k all low to me isn't acceptable (Metro). 30fps isn't even cutting it for me because of the dips.
In any case, I recently had this same discussion about Destiny specifically where a guy was harping 3080 performance saying it was a waste of money. Only for me to show him his FPS was lower than a 2080ti and he had to figure out what was wrong. Standard troubleshooting tips, fresh format, or simply play at 1080p which is what the card was made for honestly.

it started crashing at 1080 though...
is there a program that logs game performance and can help me find the issue?

event log doesnt show much

destiny2.exe

6024d554

destiny2.exe

6024d554

c0000005

00000000008d95eb

ce0

01d709a1c750f547

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Destiny 2\destiny2.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Destiny 2\destiny2.exe

36f6086e-8170-43db-b80b-c5865a115ffd

im suspecting that because they were rushing they didnt optimize the game like they did in the past and its just showing in junky systems like mine
but thats my guess.

Back
Top Bottom