What You've Just Bought!

My Mrs. is retiring her iPad for a new Kindle. It's arriving this Saturday. Her old iPad was not good for any new apps because the o.s. had expired a while ago.
Kind of what sucks about those.

I'm making my kids use their first gen iPad Airs until their apps literally won't run anymore.
You can get android tablets for really cheap used.

The price for a new $$$ iPad $$$ can not compare to the price for a new Kindle. I can not recall what edition iPad she has... but it is past it's prime
These things stopped receiving updates at 12.5.1. They can still play Roblox, Minecraft, Facetime, iMessage etc so we're good for now.
Kind of what sucks about those.

You can get android tablets for really cheap used.
No can do. We quite heavily use Apple's family sharing and screen time.

These things stopped receiving updates at 12.5.1. They can still play Roblox, Minecraft, Facetime, iMessage etc so we're good for now.

No can do. We quite heavily use Apple's family sharing and screen time.
Sounds like you have Apple handcuffs to me.
Google's Android now has Duo which is more compatible with other devices for video chat. I think it is better than Facetime imho...
I know that if all the kids use iPads then it is in your best interest to keep what your currently using. But I would consider something else in the future if and when you upgrade the kids tablets

Last edited:
Sounds like you have Apple handcuffs to me.
Google's Android now has Duo which is more compatible with other devices for video chat. I think it is better than Facetime imho...
Well, with the two of us being iPhone users for years and their dad buying them iPads for Christmas a couple years back I'd say it makes sense more than handcuffs. Chromebooks, our (bad) teenager's Android phone (when she lived with her dad), and my oldest son have shown time and time again that neither Google nor Microsoft have a good handle on the parental tools. On the flip side, Screen Time controls have worked flawlessly and have WAY more control over what you can block. For instance when our teenager lived here I could block literally EVERYTHING on her phone when she got in trouble. Down to only having contacts the parents could only edit, and not having apps or an app store at all. As well as limiting even the default apps on the phone she can use like camera, Facetime, stock email app, etc. Then being able to make it to where she can't use her phone at all during a set time limit except contact either of us or emergency services. It's one area people with no kids or children that are now adults skim over when it comes to Apple's walled garden. It's exceptional the control you can have over all Apple devices.

Then when you add on the family sharing aspect, and that all of their purchases are tied to Apple accounts which also has some common apps shared through my main account (weather apps, Plex, music, etc), theeeen their games tied to their Game Center with progress...... It's not worth starting over and needing to repurchase things and not having as much control because Google nor Microsoft offer the same amount of parental controls that Apple does. Tie this in to my DNS filters and we don't have to worry about what our kids are doing on their devices. Especially since their big sister has already shown them how much trouble you can get into.

That being said! They both have computers now that they use more than the Xboxs and tablets. We've already had several talks with them that if they do indeed break their tablets they won't be getting new ones and will need to use their computers. So they have slowly been transitioning all their stuff over including finally being able to ditch 2 Xbox Live Gold subs (thank god). Since their dad is an Android user they already have Google Duos setup to "Facetime" with their dad in the event that happens. My only concern is the lack of granularity on PC vs their tablets. In fact I just checked, our oldest boy hasn't even charged his tablet since Christmas when he got his PC. It's still sitting in the same spot. But as they get older and a necessity for a phone does become a reality they will be getting iPhones so we have that same level as control that we had on their big sister. A level of control their dad found out real quick he needed when she lived with him briefly.

Just been to ASDA and bought 6 high ball drinking glasses, a new baking tray, a set of tea towels, a new surge protector and tomorrow I'm hoping to go back and get my self a chefs knife .

Over the last year or so since I have been struggling heavily with the drink, I have had conversations with people about not stopping eating food and make sure at all costs to all ways to try and get something on my stomach.

So in turn I have heavily invested in my kitchen. I literally have everything I need and more. I've got my blender, deep fryer, my microwave, kettle, toaster, George Foreman grill, obviously my cooker and more. My biggest pleasure is my spice rack. I use this a lot when using the slow cooker and not to forget to mention I have my two freezers.

One thing I've noticed is how much effort it takes to cook a meal from fresh and I'm genuinly not just saying this for the sake of saying it but man o man it takes a lot of effort to cook every day from scratch. I genuinly understand why people will quite happily sit on takeaways all day long. I spend a lot of money on shopping to keep my two freezers going and man even cooking fresh meat from scratch. Thing is when it comes to food, this is just a subject in its self. For me good food and drink all day long. Not interested in anything else apart from my tech .

I use my slow cooker a lot but theirs no way I could spend all day in the kitchen despite my love of all things food and drink. Its just so time consuming .

Motorola MB7420 cable modem
Purple leather steering wheel cover (Valentine gift for my wife)
Several small tech items for my nephew's birthday on the 12th
New set of floormats for my MiL's vehicle
Dog paw washer
M.2 NVMe USB 3.2 Enclosure/Adapter

Please let me know how the dog paw washer works for you. I'll be needing one of those this spring. How's that pup you got working out for you?

yup...I want one of those too
Will do. It was rainy today but my MiL forgot about us getting the paw washer. Here's the USB enclosure/adapter that I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNFH1PX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only used it once but it worked fine for cloning my C: drive to a Gigebyte Aorus 500GB Gen4.

Back
Top Bottom