Chrome Browser Unresponsive

cyclones

In Runtime
I've been having this issue for what seems like forever now. When I try to open Chrome from the desktop, taskbar or program files.. sometimes the program will open fine and other times it will not open at all. I've gone in task manager and can see like 20 instances of Chrome open and end up closing all of them. If I try to relaunch Chrome again, it won't open. I'll restart my computer and sometimes it will open after and other times not. I have a desktop and a laptop that is experiencing the same issue. It seems like this issue started after upgrading Windows 10 to the 20H2 version (19042.685). I even wiped and reinstalled the OS on my desktop computer and still had the same issue after! I searched for others having the issue online and they said to go into the Chrome program files and re-create the shortcut and that seems to work most of the time but then the Chrome icon is messed up and the pages don't show correctly. I've reinstalled Chrome several times and still experience the issue. I'm out of ideas at this point. Any help would be appreciated!

I've been having this issue for what seems like forever now. When I try to open Chrome from the desktop, taskbar or program files.. sometimes the program will open fine and other times it will not open at all. I've gone in task manager and can see like 20 instances of Chrome open and end up closing all of them. If I try to relaunch Chrome again, it won't open. I'll restart my computer and sometimes it will open after and other times not. I have a desktop and a laptop that is experiencing the same issue. It seems like this issue started after upgrading Windows 10 to the 20H2 version (19042.685). I even wiped and reinstalled the OS on my desktop computer and still had the same issue after! I searched for others having the issue online and they said to go into the Chrome program files and re-create the shortcut and that seems to work most of the time but then the Chrome icon is messed up and the pages don't show correctly. I've reinstalled Chrome several times and still experience the issue. I'm out of ideas at this point. Any help would be appreciated!
I should also mention that I use Google's sync option to sync my bookmarks and settings between all my computers. I just went and deleted the "User Data" folder on my computer and now Chrome opens and closes without issue. I'm wondering if there's something corrupt with the way my account syncs?

I should also mention that I use Google's sync option to sync my bookmarks and settings between all my computers. I just went and deleted the "User Data" folder on my computer and now Chrome opens and closes without issue. I'm wondering if there's something corrupt with the way my account syncs?
Too much cache, an error in syncing, or Chrome trying to sync corrupted files off a local machine can cause it to hang on launch and close. You can clear what's synced online through the settings.

@PP Mguire I ended up just downloading Chromium and using Google Sync.. Seems to be working without issue. Thanks for your suggestions as always.

The solutions are quite straightforward. Start by closing the unresponsive chrome browser first. You can do this by holding Ctrl key+ Alt+Del. This will launch the Task Manager Window. Click on chrome and select end process.
When you close the Chrome browser:
  1. Clear the chrome cache.
  2. Disable any extension you think might be problematic.
  3. Reset Chrome settings to default.
This should fix, and prevent your chrome browser from freezing in the near future. If you wish to learn more about these steps you can always check here. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/google-chrome-is-unresponsive-relaunch-now

Back
Top Bottom