What is your ISP speed?

Subscribers pay for the package and IPS's take responsibility on how to deliver it.
Exactly the problem I have with it.
Specs and techniques do differ but in my case it has nothing to do with it.
It absolutely does. FTTH is a dedicated fiber connection, they absolutely can give you a full sym 1Gb line (about 940Mb after overhead symmetrical). ISPs charge an area mean, so long story short they are artificially capping your connection because they see no reason to give you the full speed. That in itself pisses me off and why I hate ISPs. A customer is only limited to what the ISP deems necessary to service in the area and nothing more.
I understand that was what you wanted them to do?
Yes, because there is no reason otherwise to not give you that speed for the same price. They choose not to simply because they can.

You have to understand where I grew up internet was and still is a major problem with greedy WISPs. I'm lucky to live in a metro where the Title 2 classification caused a surge in competition making big names offer big packages of fiber at low prices. Other areas aren't so lucky because ISPs don't give a shit. They know you'll pay whatever they ask for whatever speed they offer simply because you have no other choice and I think that's horse shit. The internet game is nothing but greed.

I'm confused. But anyway I got the package I paid for in its full potential and more (the ping) thanks to the superior connection.

And trust me you have no idea how bad our internet is in general here. Even in my case I'm considered so lucky.

Last edited:
I got the package I paid for in its full potential and more (the ping) thanks to the superior connection.
That's precisely what I'm ranting about, because you're only getting what they want to give you. In your eyes it's "I'm paying this price for this speed because they offer it and I'm lucky". In reality it's "I'm paying this price for a 16th of the real speed fully capable of this line and they're shamming me" simply because that's all they want to give you.

I get that to you it's fast and you're grateful to even have what they offer, I'm just saying the reality is for the same price they can very easily take off the restriction and you'd have the full speed capable. They just don't because they don't have to or want to.
And trust me you have no idea how bad our internet is in general here. Even in my case I'm considered so lucky.
Actually I do know, just like I know about the net situation in the UK, as well as Aus and many other areas of the globe because of friends all around.

To try to explain why the rant, here's some simple things to know.
If your house has FTTH your transmission rate is limited by the PON. If it's GPON it's gigabit from you to the interface. For some last mile customers an XGPON is connected for future potential customers utilizing that same line, and that one user is artificially limited unless there's an ONU in between.
Most houses with a cable connection use EPON or GEPON (or apartments 10G-EPON with ODNs) which is gigabit capable, in some instances direct line from house to node also capable of gigabit.
Even though these services are completely capable of offering speeds we've wanted it was never a "thing" until recently. Most major companies didn't have to upgrade hardware except for those last mile customers. The point being, the speed for most has always been there they just didn't care to give that to the people. Two big examples being FTTH Uverse customers with AT&T being capped to 50 or 75Mb, and Comcast/Cox/TWC/Spectrum customers having max speeds of 100Mb until about 2016. Then all of a sudden Spectrum offers 200/400/1Gb packages and AT&T comes out with "Gigapower" utilizing the same fiber backbone but offering 1Gb service leaving the FTTH Uverse people stuck at 50Mb or 75Mb.
There's more to it like ONU, OLTs, ODNs etc but pretty much all of it has been fully capable for years and the instant "turn over" recently proves it.
My current provider Frontier is no better. In 2015 their max package was 150Mb, now they offer 1Gb on the same hardware, same backbone, everything.

Nah, you don't need to explain or address at all why the rant. Just rant away, no problem ;)

I know your frustration. All I'm saying is that the technician then moved me to FTTH, me a DSL subscriber, to help. Prices, quality, variety, speeds, etc. are decided by the corporation, not the technician, and many factors affect them.

But you don't have to jinx it bring me bad luck. The price I pay is documented for DSL but I'm getting the service on FTTH, for the same price and that's real luck for us here especially with the extra 10MB and low latency I'm getting that in normal cases no one can get (actually my case is not allowed anymore). Again, they moved the exact same package, not to a package on FTTH. The package is not an FTTH in the first place. Right now if I change my package, I cannot come back to it. And all other packages are more expensive and faster than my need. That's why I'm so lucky to had it moved to FTTH earlier. Then again, just relatively.

Also prices are not a valid since it's the same price I pay. Regardless to how much it is; expensive or cheap. This depends on the ISP and many other factors and that differs from one place to another.

What you can get and what the ISP's provide is what counts here (I'm not saying alway, I'm saying in this case). The potential of lines does not.

Actually I do know, just like I know about the net situation in the UK, as well as Aus and many other areas of the globe because of friends all around.

Then you knew that 40mbps DL/10mbps UL DSL costs +$60USD here (I mentioned it before, but that does not count)? And that's the max attainable allowed speed depending on the copper lines. Only one out of about ten users I asked got it up to this speed and the others couldn't reach even half of it. And they are living in urban areas in major cities.

Then the next available package is 100mbps/20mbps on FTTH that costs +$76 USD. To have the UP doubled, that's ~$15 USD.

For now just think of the prices.

They bluntly refuse to provide FTTH to some areas for the excuse that they have VDSL2+ that can reach 40mbps/10mbps.

That's only the tip of the iceberg (yup, I know such proverbs).

I think you misunderstand the rant buddy :ROFLMAO:

And all other packages are more expensive and faster than my need.
Then the next available package is 100mbps/20mbps on FTTH that costs +$76 USD. To have the UP doubled, that's ~$15 USD.
They bluntly refuse to provide FTTH to some areas for the excuse that they have VDSL2+ that can reach 40mbps/10mbps.
That's the point, right there. You got a deal because you got lucky. The reality of the situation is exactly as I said. They don't want to, because they're not forced to. It shouldn't cost you A PENNY MORE to double upload. It shouldn't cost you A PENNY MORE to go from 60Mb to 1,000Mb. Why? Because it doesn't cost them a penny more. They charge you more for service you already technically have and refuse to provide others with FTTH because of greed. That's it.
And that's the max attainable allowed speed depending on the copper lines. Only one out of about ten users I asked got it up to this speed and the others couldn't reach even half of it.
This is because ISPs are greedy. They make such profit and refuse to put that back into their equipment to provide a better service to their customers because they don't have to. This kind of shit globally is exactly why we still get 12Mb "4K" and why higher resolution content is still not very attainable.

As a PC user maybe this will help. Let's say I'm your neighbor, and as buds you mention I'm the last house to get good internet while yours just a house down you're stuck with idk, satellite. As buds I say bro I can just run a cable to your house and share my net. We run some cheap 5e and the elements, a rat, whatever messes it up. So we do it right, we run PVC pipe in the ground and ON4 level fiber to your house. With the long cheap 5e you could only get 40Mb sustained speeds and I charged you 40 bucks a month. Well with the fiber now you could get a 10Gb connection to my house backbone. But because I'm a greedy asshole neighbor I go into network settings and down your connection status to 50Mb half duplex and say you're lucky pal, if you want 100Mb that's 75 bucks and more upload? Welp, that's double. That is what your ISP is doing.

I think you misunderstand the rant buddy :ROFLMAO:
Possible, but I don't think it's a language barrier. This language barrier thing only happens when I talk to you among all other members :angel:

That's the point, right there. You got a deal because you got lucky. The reality of the situation is exactly as I said. They don't want to, because they're not forced to. It shouldn't cost you A PENNY MORE to double upload. It shouldn't cost you A PENNY MORE to go from 60Mb to 1,000Mb. Why? Because it doesn't cost them a penny more. They charge you more for service you already technically have and refuse to provide others with FTTH because of greed. That's it.

This is because ISPs are greedy. They make such profit and refuse to put that back into their equipment to provide a better service to their customers because they don't have to. This kind of shit globally is exactly why we still get 12Mb "4K" and why higher resolution content is still not very attainable.

As a PC user maybe this will help. Let's say I'm your neighbor, and as buds you mention I'm the last house to get good internet while yours just a house down you're stuck with idk, satellite. As buds I say bro I can just run a cable to your house and share my net. We run some cheap 5e and the elements, a rat, whatever messes it up. So we do it right, we run PVC pipe in the ground and ON4 level fiber to your house. With the long cheap 5e you could only get 40Mb sustained speeds and I charged you 40 bucks a month. Well with the fiber now you could get a 10Gb connection to my house backbone. But because I'm a greedy asshole neighbor I go into network settings and down your connection status to 50Mb half duplex and say you're lucky pal, if you want 100Mb that's 75 bucks and more upload? Welp, that's double. That is what your ISP is doing.

Fair point, but I don't remember the point was or derailed to this one. Maybe mentioned as side points at best. I wouldn't think you're an ay-hole if the deal was to provide a specific speed specially if you are also giving connection to someone else and bandwidth share and other stuff become a thing. This is my case, exactly. Regardless to the greed and ay-hole-ness, if one is paying for a specific speed, like I am, the speed is what matters. And the ISP's are greedy, I know ;)

I meant to edit my post previously but...kids in the morning :mad:
I'm going to mark this off ass rationalizing due to appreciation. I was the same way when I left the country and got a 50Mb connection in the city. It wasn't until later where I woke up and realized the speeds they offer now were always there, the ISPs just didn't have a reason or care to release them to the public.
The reason I said what I said is because FTTH should be gigabit no matter what. It costs them not a penny more to service your house with a full GPON speed.
My point was the same from the beginning.

I meant to edit my post previously but...kids in the morning :mad:
I'm going to mark this off ass rationalizing due to appreciation. I was the same way when I left the country and got a 50Mb connection in the city. It wasn't until later where I woke up and realized the speeds they offer now were always there, the ISPs just didn't have a reason or care to release them to the public.

My point was the same from the beginning.

Don't worry too much about editing or fixing posts. We're just chatting.

I guess you presented a new point at some "point" then, or maybe not. things happen.

One weird thing my ISP did that kinda was okay was increasing the speed. My original speed was 20mb. One day it was 25mb then 50mb then finally 55-60mb. I think this is something automatic in having my DSL package put on FTTH lines. Oh, UL was originally only 1mb. All this with the same price. I think this happened by mistake. I don't thing they would really give free extra speed. Other packages received free upgrades too but it was for higher speeds that made it not that great and it was one step only. I mean, upgrading from 80mb to 100mb does not give an impact like going 20mb to 55mb.

I saw Trotters post about his speed increase so I though I would check mine too. Turned out I was only getting about 250 Mbps. The last time I checked I was getting around 350 but that was several months ago and I have had it on non stop. So I went and shut off my modem and router for 15 minutes or so.... and rechecked again.
10906112525.png

Just goes to show that we still need to reset our modems and routers every now and then?

I saw Trotters post about his speed increase so I though I would check mine too. Turned out I was only getting about 250 Mbps. The last time I checked I was getting around 350 but that was several months ago and I have had it on non stop. So I went and shut off my modem and router for 15 minutes or so.... and rechecked again.
10906112525.png

Just goes to show that we still need to reset our modems and routers every now and then?
If it's ISP provided it might have had an update ready? Most complaints of reboots in this area come from OTA updates.

Back
Top Bottom