What You've Just Bought!

It cracks me up when someone posts a video of how "good" a speaker sounds on YouTube. The "goodness" of how they sound can be no better than the amp/speaker setup I have attached to my computer!

The only real test of how good a speaker sounds is to have it playing in the room that you plan to use it in.
I did state what they can or can not do..... That you tube is only an example of what they are capable of. Obviously you ignored my first post because my first post was of reviews of regular folks (such as you) that have already done this and how much they liked these flat speakers. I may try doing something like this too in the very near future, I do have an old Bose Acoustimass 3 speaker set up (and it really sux) but I might try using the Bose powered sub and 2x2 DML speakers in place of those tiny Bose satellites. It might suck as much, but I may try it anyway just to see

Last edited:
Take it easy Joe. My comment was NOT about the speakers or the fact that you like them. It was strictly about the YouTube video itself where the guy is demoing the speakers so you can hear how good they sound. Regardless of how good those speakers are, they cannot sound any better than the speakers you are listening to the demo on.

Back in the '70s I was a big time audiophile with lots of $$$ invested in audio equipment. Then came the '80s and computers. Once I got into computers, I lost interest in my audio equipment.

I do agree about that video too, so I'm not offended.
What really is the issue with the video is the room in which he is playing those speakers.
It sounds like an echo chamber, so...yup. Not a good representation. But it does get an idea across about what these exciters are all about. It was just within this year I decided to revive my 1986 stero from the bowels of the back of my garage, and now I own a "classic vintage" audio system that I never knew I had. Those 15" woofers still kick'em out but I had to replace/upgrade the mids, tweeters and crossovers. I live in a smaller place today and those flat panels intrigue me very much, the wife acceptance factor is very low for giant speakers from '86. She currently tolerates them

There are some things I know about speakers that I did not know before. Many speakers you buy may or may not have been broken in, if they where not broken in you can cause problems with the speaker coil if played too loud before it is broken in can cause the voice coil that is wrapped around a cylinder going to the cone can become bent or crimped and will cause unwanted distortion at certain frequency's. Or damage other parts like the spider or cone ring. You should check with the speaker maker to see if they need breaking in at first. Then you have frequency response the reason you have tweeters, mid rang and woofers. Some speakers will handle all of it like what is used for Organs have a very wide frequency response. Then you have capacitance measured in Ohms you should match the speaker to the amplifiers Ohm rating because it can cause a problem with the amp, and then you have your wattage your speakers should be 20% higher rateing then the amp this will help in longevity of the speaker. There is more but that has more to do with the quality of sound produced with cone materials.

Take it easy Joe. My comment was NOT about the speakers or the fact that you like them. It was strictly about the YouTube video itself where the guy is demoing the speakers so you can hear how good they sound. Regardless of how good those speakers are, they cannot sound any better than the speakers you are listening to the demo on.

Back in the '70s I was a big time audiophile with lots of $$$ invested in audio equipment. Then came the '80s and computers. Once I got into computers, I lost interest in my audio equipment.
I wish I was that way. I got started in pro audio and no matter how I try to turn it down a notch I want bigger and better sound lol.
I do agree about that video too, so I'm not offended.
What really is the issue with the video is the room in which he is playing those speakers.
It sounds like an echo chamber, so...yup. Not a good representation. But it does get an idea across about what these exciters are all about. It was just within this year I decided to revive my 1986 stero from the bowels of the back of my garage, and now I own a "classic vintage" audio system that I never knew I had. Those 15" woofers still kick'em out but I had to replace/upgrade the mids, tweeters and crossovers. I live in a smaller place today and those flat panels intrigue me very much, the wife acceptance factor is very low for giant speakers from '86. She currently tolerates them
I'm very fortunate to have a spouse that loves me being "extra" when it comes to our home theater. The kids always want to bring their friends over to watch movies on our stuff too.
There are some things I know about speakers that I did not know before. Many speakers you buy may or may not have been broken in, if they where not broken in you can cause problems with the speaker coil if played too loud before it is broken in can cause the voice coil that is wrapped around a cylinder going to the cone can become bent or crimped and will cause unwanted distortion at certain frequency's. Or damage other parts like the spider or cone ring. You should check with the speaker maker to see if they need breaking in at first. Then you have frequency response the reason you have tweeters, mid rang and woofers. Some speakers will handle all of it like what is used for Organs have a very wide frequency response. Then you have capacitance measured in Ohms you should match the speaker to the amplifiers Ohm rating because it can cause a problem with the amp, and then you have your wattage your speakers should be 20% higher rateing then the amp this will help in longevity of the speaker. There is more but that has more to do with the quality of sound produced with cone materials.
A lot of guys learn this with car subwoofers. Can't just buy a new one and blast 1200W through it right off the bat. The biggest problem I have explaining to people is peak vs RMS, and quality of amp. Like no that Boss amp for 40 bucks is not going to be 3000W.

I wish I was that way. I got started in pro audio and no matter how I try to turn it down a notch I want bigger and better sound lol.
I honestly love the speakers I currently have now.... I just love the bass a 15" speaker can produce, .... when it comes to audio, size does matter. If I were to get new speakers and regardless of WAF (wife acceptance factor) I would get these. You should without a doubt check these puppies out.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BIC-Ame...y-Bi-Ampable-Floor-Speaker-RTR-EV15/204706680
Incredible that you can get these cheap from a big box hardware store. Check out the reviews on line

Last edited:
I honestly love the speakers I currently have now.... I just love the bass a 15" speaker can produce, .... when it comes to audio, size does matter. If I were to get new speakers and regardless of WAF (wife acceptance factor) I would get these. You should without a doubt check these puppies out.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BIC-Ame...y-Bi-Ampable-Floor-Speaker-RTR-EV15/204706680
Incredible that you can get these cheap from a big box hardware store. Check out the reviews on line
Back in 2012 when I got rid of my gear I actually sold it all to what later became my current boss. He's actually giving me my old towers back. They are basically carpeted versions of JBL TR225s but with SR 15s instead with 3 way crossovers. (2 15s, and 1" JBL horn) If I wind up actually not getting them I'm going to look into these. 15s produce the cleanest bass for home audio outside of a ridiculous 18" sub setup. I have a 12 and an 8 right now with crossover setups to sweep from Low mids on the 8 to lows on the 12. I get way too much of an "airy" response that 15s don't produce. Another big factor is being able to set full range on the receiver so I can EQ the real LFE better.

I have a spare 15" Peavey Blackwidow PA speaker in the garage that I intend on getting a custom enclosure made and giving it an amp. Should rattle the house real good lol.

I do need to use an EQ with my set up too, the EQ came with the system I got in '86. I'm sure by now I might need new caps, but when I checked the caps on the cross overs they were not that far out of the 10% spec they were rated for. I got some audio grade caps for the speaker cross overs (that are also much larger) that are within 1% of spec and it made a very noticeable improvement, along with adding a little insulation behind the woofer. Took that "boominess" out. I'm still thinking of adding more support of the Speaker box in the way of a 1" round dowel to see if that will improve it. After that I do plan on refinishing the outside of these boxes with some new veneer, and get new "franken" badges on the covers from a print/label place that makes custom lettering, because they will no longer be what they once were.
This is the current set up I have right now...
Front.jpg

And.. yes they are connected to the 55" tv for video

Last edited:
That looks good, I like the white cones.
Thanks!
They're about 35 yrs old, cloth surrounds. I consider them to be "survivors" of an era gone by.
Anything by today's standard wants you to get several 6" woofers in a speaker box with lower efficiency, I can not get the specs on these speakers because they are no longer produced. But from some on line reviews I have read that these are over 92% efficient.
I think this is why we are seeing a resurgence in "vintage" audio

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom