Questions about Chromebooks (and Crome OS)

alucard10

Baseband Member
I've been thinking about getting a Chromebook as a secondary computer and I have many Questions.

Questions:

Is a micro sd card a good way to expand the offline storage on a chromebook?

Will this Samsung chromebook be able to use a 128GB micro sd card? The bestbuy site does not specify, it just says "Supports microSD memory card formats".
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...=1&gclid=CODa7q7c8NoCFcm0fgodpt4GVw&gclsrc=ds

When you download google play android apps to a chromebook will they work with a mouse or will you need a touch screen chromebook? (The chromebook I want doesn't have a touch screen ,only a mouse)

Last edited:
As far as I can find out you can use an SD card of your desired capacity.

The user manual on the Samsung website mentions sdxc cards which currently can be as large as 2TB so I believe it would have no trouble with a 128GB card.

The Android OS can be used with a mouse. A few years ago, I set my Android phone up as a computer and used it with an external display, mouse and keyboard, just to see if it could be done. Worked fine. I also own several miniPCs which are Android based compute sticks that plug into an HDMI port on a TV. They work fine using mouse and keyboard, most TVs (none?) have a touchscreen.

You can't use Best Buy to find specs. Just go to the manufacturer's website or to a trusted third party site.

Sites that only sell stuff usually have specs intended for the non-technical community. For example "with 1.6 GHz CPU". That tells you nothing.

This applies to things like cameras, microphones, headphones, computers (including smartphones and tablets) and God knows what else, because most people don't care about those kinds of details.

Although something as basic as supported SD card size should be something worth mentioning.

Where did you get that information Strollin? I can't find any specifics here or here.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.
I was asking because my windows laptop only accepts a 32gb sd cards and wanted to expand media storage for it by leaving a 128gb sd card in it. I am hoping that a more modern chromebook or windows laptop would be able to.

I was also wondering how useful a chromebook would actually be?
like for example:

-What kind of online google stuff is there? and how much can it substitute the stuff a windows laptop has? (like for example using "google docs" instead of "microsoft word" ,cloud based stuff instead of program on the laptop and so on)

-How useful is it offline? For example enjoying media like mp4,mp3 and jpeg from the micro sd card wile offline. or using google play apps offline.

I wouldn't use a Chromebook as a main computer, unless all you do is browse the web and do some basic office work.

Office programs can be used offline.

The PNY elite-x fit is just about the smallest/fastest nano usb stick. I've liked mine on my tablet, and it's way faster than micro-sd. only downside is that even though it's so small, it still sticks out.

Where did you get that information Strollin? I can't find any specifics here or here.
In your 2nd link, there is a link to download the manual.

Thank you for your replies.
I was asking because my windows laptop only accepts a 32gb sd cards and wanted to expand media storage for it by leaving a 128gb sd card in it. I am hoping that a more modern chromebook or windows laptop would be able to.

I was also wondering how useful a chromebook would actually be?
like for example:

-What kind of online google stuff is there? and how much can it substitute the stuff a windows laptop has? (like for example using "google docs" instead of "microsoft word" ,cloud based stuff instead of program on the laptop and so on)

-How useful is it offline? For example enjoying media like mp4,mp3 and jpeg from the micro sd card wile offline. or using google play apps offline.
After the Chromebook's initial introduction, changes were made to Google Doc's to allow for offline editing of documents. As far as what you can do offline, if you go into the Chrome app store, the apps indicate whether they need to be on or off line to be used.

I've never personally owned a Chromebook but my son has one that he used while going to college. One thing I remember him doing was having a Linux thumb drive that he kept plugged in to be able to do things that the Chromebook couldn't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom