The computer does not start press Start button - nothing happens

Qwertyn

Solid State Member
The computer does not start. If I press Start button - nothing happens.
The computer used to have 2 HDs, one - with the operating system, the second one - with the files. I have disconnected and removed the HD with the files, the second HD with the operating system is remained. Motherboard and other details are in the attached pictures.
OS - Windows 10
Power Supply - Corsair CX 600
Mother Board - ASUS M5 A97

Unplug the power cord from the power supply, hold the start button a few seconds, plug the power back in, then try it again. Old school but it does work.

Is this a freshly built system or it just doesn't start anymore? You're not mistaking the reset button for a start button?

Is the power button wire still attached to the board?
I am not sure, how to check it?

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Are there any lights on? on the motherboard?

Green light on motherboard is flashing

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Unplug the power cord from the power supply, hold the start button a few seconds, plug the power back in, then try it again. Old school but it does work.

Thanks, but it does not work

Is the power button wire still attached to the board?

I am not sure, how to check it?

There is a terminal strip of pins in the lower right hand corner of the motherboard. 2 of those pins should be labeled PWRSW and there should be a connector connected to them that comes from the power switch on your case. Check to make sure that that connector wasn't dislodged when you removed the HDD.

So the computer was working, and then you removed a hard drive and it stopped powering on? Maybe an electrostatic discharge?

What happens exactly? You said that nothing happens but now you said there is a green light on the motherboard.

It would also help to know what hardware you have, maybe there are codes that can help us narrow down the issue.

Try resetting the CMOS, usually a button next to that green light on the motherboard. if that doesn't work, find out where the power on pins that strollin mentioned, and bridge them with something metal, like a screw driver.

I had a tower where the power button cables had frayed in the middle, and wouldn't do anything when i pushed the button.

Back
Top Bottom