Still asking about Adobe Flash Player.

pete.i

Daemon Poster
I have asked this question a few times now but I still have not had a satisfactory (at least for me) answer. Everything I read and every computer geek I talk to says I MUST get rid of Flash Player as it is a "huge" security risk. what I am not being told is what to use in it's place. If I get rid of Flash Player You Tube videos do not work. Neither do news videos on MSN for instance. Flash Player is installlable. I go to the Adobe website and I click on the Flash Player installer and away it goes. Easy, Simple and it works. okay there are "massive" security risks apparently but I haven't had any problems that I know of. Having said that I am more than happy to go along with the nay sayers and uninstall Flash Player and use an alternative. But what alternative? What else can I put on my computer that will play all the videos on You Tube, will work with Firefox and just installs in the same way that Flash Player does.

There isn't a lot of point in anyone saying that this works or that works. I need chapter and verse about if this or that works how do I get it working etc etc. After all that is what this forum is all about.:confused:

Over to you.

You should be able to play YouTube videos without any problems as Google switched to HTML5 which is a lot better than flash. Google has also worked with Adobe to make a secure version of flash for Chrome that is builtin.

You should be able to play YouTube videos without any problems as Google switched to HTML5 which is a lot better than flash. Google has also worked with Adobe to make a secure version of flash for Chrome that is builtin.

okay thanks for that BK. The last time I tried that it didn't work, well I didn't think it had worked anyway. To be honest the difference is that I uninstalled flash this time and tried it and it does work. so basically I will go with that for now. I only use chrome for my Chromecast device. I do not rate Chrome or Microsoft's Edge as viable browsers IMO.

Okay there are still websites that do not work without Flash. Yes some are working such as You Tube and MSN but a few that I use regularly do not work. This is one of them:-

http://www.kiel-canal.de/webcam_hd/webcam_live.php

And another Times Square Cams - EarthCam

etc etc etc.

So again my question is is there something that I can install, download, use instead of Flash Player or am I going to have to wait until the various web cam operators get their fingers out and redo, or whatever they have to do, to allow their web sites to work?

Those two websites are just two webcam sites that I use and that I find interesting there are others and if I have to wait for them to sort themselves out then I will just have to reinstall Flash Player with all the "apparent" dangers that that entails. Also what is going to happen to these web sites when Adobe finally decide to abandon Flash which is something I read somewhere that Adobe is intending to do sometime soon.

I personally have Adobe Flash installed on all my computers and don't have any issues. Not worth worrying over to me. If Flash goes away then websites that depend on it will need to update or go away.

I don't think what you are looking for exists. Adobe owns flash, and flash is being phased out. The only alternative is HTML5 and if the site you are trying to view does not support it there is nothing you can do about that. It's not just the player that is unsecure, it's the entire format.

I don't think what you are looking for exists. Adobe owns flash, and flash is being phased out. The only alternative is HTML5 and if the site you are trying to view does not support it there is nothing you can do about that. It's not just the player that is unsecure, it's the entire format.

It's certainly looking that way. When Flash finally goes wotsits up there will be an awful lot of websites that won't work. A significant number of those rely on their webcams to generate money for themselves through advertising on that website. I will just reinstall Flash Player and carry on till it works no more. I have nothing on my computers that I have to keep it's just an inconvenience having to reinstall every so often to get rid of the junk.

Back
Top Bottom