if you upgrade to Win 10 from a OEM Win 8 Computer be aware

freakassoid

Baseband Member
if you have a OEM Windows 8 computer (Hewlett-Packard,Acer,Toshiba ect.) and installed Windows 8.1
it adds a extra 350mb recovery partition

now if you had to restore back to Windows 8 from the OEM recovery Partition the extra 350mb recovery
gets left on the hard drive

now from a fresh install back to Windows 8 from the OEM recovery partition you upgrade to Windows 8.1 it adds
another 350mb recovery partition so now there is 2 350mb recovery partition and if you keep going back to Windows 8
from the OEM recovery partition and upgrade to Windows 8.1 it adds another

Windows defrag see's these 350mb recovery partition as Local Disk (\\?\VOLUME and can not defrag them

this person had 13 350mb recovery partitions

Too Many Recovery Partitions
hxxp://malwaretips.com/threads/too-many-recovery-partitions.32625/

i also found in this post topgundcp says

"If you have another HD then I would suggest to re-install the OS and get ready to upgrade to Windows 10.
Having too many reserved partitions might cause upgrade to Windows 10 to fail as seen in Windows 10 Forum."

Too many recovery partitions Windows 8.1
hxxp://www.eightforums.com/general-support/67348-too-many-recovery-partitions-windows-8-1-a.html

i'v asked this question at the Microsoft Community forum
hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/upgrade-to-win-10-but-too-many-recovery-partitions/a58f421f-fdfd-4d6d-bd58-82b8168e84f1?auth=1

Jayant Gupta a Microsoft Support Engineer replies

"I would like to provide you with the information that, if you have another HD then I would suggest you to re-install the OS
and get ready to upgrade to Windows 10. Having too many reserved partitions might cause Windows 10 upgrade to fail."

i know how to fix this

but what about all the people that do not know about this let alone know how to fix it

:)

James

p.s.

since i'm new i XX the tt in links up above

Thanks James! Good information. I'm sure it will help someone. I'm running W7 so it doesn't apply to me, but I'm sure we have some W8 members!!
Welcome to the forum friend!!

My Acer is not a OEM. Mine came with Windowns 8.1 pre installed. I can not find where the product key was sent with the computer.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

something else that comes with Windows 8/8.1 the KEY is built in lol

you have to use software to find it like

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

hxxps://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

James

dang i forgot about this sorry

How to Find Your PC's Windows Product Key So You Can Reinstall Windows
hxxp://www.howtogeek.com/209975/how-to-find-your-pc%E2%80%99s-windows-product-key-so-you-can-reinstall-windows/

Embedded in your PC's UEFI firmware: Many newer PCs that come with Windows 8 use a new method. The key for the version of
Windows the PC comes with is stored in the computer's UEFI firmware or BIOS. You don't even need to know it — assuming you're
installing the same edition of Windows the PC came with, it should automatically activate and work without you needing to enter a key.
It'll all happen automatically.

The product key is stored in the registry on your computer, and it can be read by simple key-viewing programs or even basic scripts. We
recommend NirSoft ProduKey for this. Despite all our railing against the Windows freeware ecosystem, NirSoft's software has always been
excellent and never tried to force junk onto your PC. Be sure to download it from NirSoft's official website and not a third-party download site, though.

Download ProduKey, run it, and look at the Windows product key it displays. Be sure to read the “Product Key” column, and not the “Product ID” column.
Write this product key down, print it out, or store it somewhere electronically. You'll need it when reinstalling Windows, and you may not be able to get it again
if you wipe your hard drive.

But, beware — this product key may not actually work for reinstalling Windows on your PC.

NirSoft's ProduKey
hxxp://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Newer Windows 8 PCs can avoid all these problems. The key isn't stored on software where it can be wiped, or on a sticker where it could be smudged off or removed. No one can glance at your computer's COA sticker to steal its product key. Instead, the key is stored in the computer's UEFI firmware or BIOS by the manufacturer.

You don't have to do anything special if you have this. If your computer came with WIndows 8 and it doesn't have a COA sticker, don't worry. You should just be able to reinstall the same edition of Windows the PC came with and it should just work without even asking you for a key. (Still, it may be best to run NirSoft's ProduKey and write down any key you find there before reinstalling Windows — just in case.)

so The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder might not work

sorry again

James

something else that comes with Windows 8/8.1 the KEY is built in lol

you have to use software to find it like

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

hxxps://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

James

I have Keyfinder. When I did a scan using Malwarbytes. Keyfinder was listed as a potentially unwanted programme. After I used the fix part of Malwarbytes Keyfinder was not deleted. So I guess Keyfinder is OK.

Keyfinder did not find the product key on this computer on my Dell XPS 18 the key number was located.

But when choosing add features won Windows 8.1 I put in the key Keyfinder found and that number was not recognized by Windows.

My Acer is not a OEM. Mine came with Windowns 8.1 pre installed. I can not find where the product key was sent with the computer.

If it had Windows already installed when you purchased the computer then it would be an OEM licence. Manufacturers no longer attach a COA sticker to a new computer. From Windows 8 manufacturers have embedded the key in the bios to prevent piracy. This is from Microsoft

One of the improvements Microsoft is making to Activation 3.0 for newly built machines that come preloaded with Windows 8, you won't have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker attached to the machine anymore. Instead, this will be embedded in the BIOS. This will avoid product keys from being compromised and OEMs will buy what they need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-when-it/d4c5c0c1-825d-47f2-9bed-d9625c7e68ff

Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys - CNET

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom