New TP Link switch slows internet down

Well yes, that is a lot of devices, but most are wireless, and run with no problems with wifi router nor any problems with older router until it started to glitch out. only three wired devices, TV, Apple TV, and then through the switch to two computers. And TV and Apple TV are not usually running till at night. All this worked fine with the old router until it glitched out. So I am still trying to understand why this new router slows down my inertent connection after 20 minutes.

Well yes, that is a lot of devices, but most are wireless, and run with no problems with wifi router nor any problems with older router until it started to glitch out. only three wired devices, TV, Apple TV, and then through the switch to two computers. And TV and Apple TV are not usually running till at night. All this worked fine with the old router until it glitched out. So I am still trying to understand why this new router slows down my inertent connection after 20 minutes.

its not the router, as you said it never slows down when directly plugged in. are you now saying it slows down even connected to the router?

The switch is TP-link TL-SG105, 5 port switch, I had this problem with my previous switch. So I thought maybe the switch was bad and bought this TP-link switch. And I got full speed and thought I was good. For about 20 minutes then back to 25 download speed.

Ok one more item. Looking at my 5 port switch the ports 1 -4 appear to be on one metal plate, port 5 appears to be on a separate plate and is marked LINK /ACT. I thought the cable input should be plugged in there. But looking at the install guide, they plug into port 1. I did that and now have full speed, now ill see how long it lasts.

port 5 is an uplink port designed to connect the switch to the router (or another network device), so plug your end devices into port 1-4 and give it a test.

Ok, problem solved, thank you all for your help and input. I plugged the cable from router into port 1 and now 30 minutes later my wife's computer still has full speed, 110 MB. So my problem was in plugging the cable into port 5, that's where it slowed down. And i2D, I thought that also. I thought port 5 the one marked LINK/ACT was for the input. But looking at my installation guide for the switch I see they plug the input into port 1. So I dont really understand what the port 5 is for then.

Ok, problem solved, thank you all for your help and input. I plugged the cable from router into port 1 and now 30 minutes later my wife's computer still has full speed, 110 MB. So my problem was in plugging the cable into port 5, that's where it slowed down. And i2D, I thought that also. I thought port 5 the one marked LINK/ACT was for the input. But looking at my installation guide for the switch I see they plug the input into port 1. So I dont really understand what the port 5 is for then.

port 5 is the uplink port like I mentioned and the switch uplink is dual purpose (Auto MDI-X) so you can connect any device with cross-over cable or straight-through and it will auto configure that port to function correctly.

So shouldnt of been an issue actually, but maybe this device is poorly built or firmware is wack so isnt functioning as expected.

anyways congrat on it working.

This is a straight up dummy switch and I have the exact same one, both in 5 port and 8 port configs. All ports are Auto-Negotiation, Auto-MDI/MDIX ports, QoS is marketing fluff as it's an unmanaged switch, and you should be able to plug your router into port 1 and use a device on any of the other 4 ports without issue.

Back
Top Bottom