Laptop dropping off internet on video calls

Any further ideas?

Did the continuous ping for about 20 mins. It didn't time out.

Statistics:
- 2296 packets sent, 2296 packets received
- average round trip 15 ms

I'm not good with technology, but found out how to do the continuous ping. Set that up, then did a video call, which duly chucked me off the internet. The text on the command prompt read "Request timed out".

I hope someone can help. During the coronavirus lock down I am having to rely on video calls quite a lot, so this problem is frustrating.

A "requested time out" does not mean that your internet totally dropped out, your bandwidth (possibly very slow DSL speed) may be limited for doing live video feed due to excessive buffering. You should not compare your tv unless your using something like IPTV, even then... your not uploading your video feed online to another third party services like Zoom or something similar

Last edited:
A "requested time out" does not mean that your internet totally dropped out, your bandwidth (possibly very slow DSL speed) may be limited for doing live video feed due to excessive buffering. You should not compare your tv unless your using something like IPTV, even then... your not uploading your video feed online to another third party services like Zoom or something similar

Yup. Sounds like possible QoS control is implemented if you dont get this issue doing anything else.

Stupid question I forgot to ask, what speeds do you pay from your ISP and what are you Download and Upload speeds on tests?

I think it's a phone line into the house, hence the microfilter. Just did speed test - download was 37 Mbps and upload was 34 Mbps.

So if the broadband speed isn't the issue, what could it be?

I am with Vodafone. They are going to send me a new router.

What I don't understand though is why the issue only happens during video chats.

How do I change QoS settings?

Looking on my router settings, I can only see an option for limiting the bandwidth for each device, rather than anything more complicated.

As nothing seems to be working, should I assume that it's a Windows 8 issue and that the issues would be resolved if I installed Windows 10?

No, not using a VPN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I cannot install windows 10 due to the laptop belonging to my dad and it having expensive statistics software on it which he doesn't want to risk losing. Maybe I should just buy a new laptop!

Back
Top Bottom