Upgrading for quad monitor setup

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, so I'm trying to stretch some life out of my old rig. It's a 2600k in an asus p8p67 deluxe with 16gb ram. I was hoping to build a new rig this year but budget issues have held that off. So instead I'm looking for upgrades that will efficiently run 4 monitors (previously was 2). So I recently picked up a couple of 1070s locally and I have one in the system, I'm trying to decide if I should add the second or just put it in a different build (5 other systems around the house, big family).

So right now I have:
- Primary: 27" Acer predator XB271HU that I game on. Nothing overly demanding, just dota and borderlands 3. I like running things at full and it's struggling a little with borderlands 3. I have most settings on high and get between 50-70-fps depending on the scene.
- Secondary: Dell 24" I use mostly for watching shows and tv. The work is boring so I have this one dedicated to media.
- Third and fourth monitors (24" Dell) are used for my work which is primarily database management, data entry and webpage browsing. One on the vertical for webpages and the other for extra realestate for all the various windows I need open when work does get busy. During those times I'm using both of these and the 27" acer. It's not taxing on the system, I just need a lot of screen.

So right now everything is working ok, the cpu is OCed to 4.5 and the 1070 is maxed out as well. This gets me to 50-70fps on Borderlands, but I'm wondering if there is a way to stretch a bit more out of it. I'd like to put the settings higher, right now it's a mix of mid/high. I tried ultra high and could only get around 20fps. Right now I have all 4 monitors running through the 1070 and I'm wondering if it is worth installing the second 1070 or even just using another card I have handy. I have a 1050 and a 660 as well. However, before I mess around I thought I'd ask from those who know better. Would installing a second card and running one or two of the monitors to it alleviate stress on my first 1070? Would going SLI 1070s be worth it? Or should I just be happy with what I've got and stick with the single 1070?

Thanks guys

Adding a second card won't really help much in the grand scheme of things for the games as you'll start to get held back by CPU rather than GPU. I would put the 1050 in your machine to run all of your monitors except your main monitor.

I'm also curious how you got a Pascal card to run on your board. I have the same board with a 2500k and it refuses to boot with anything higher than Maxwell, as does my PX79WS-E.

Adding a second card won't really help much in the grand scheme of things for the games as you'll start to get held back by CPU rather than GPU. I would put the 1050 in your machine to run all of your monitors except your main monitor.

I'm also curious how you got a Pascal card to run on your board. I have the same board with a 2500k and it refuses to boot with anything higher than Maxwell, as does my PX79WS-E.

Thanks, was sort of what I was thinking.

As for the mobo/cpu combo, no idea. It's how I first built the system, I did send it in on a recall back when it was first released. Since then it's been running like a tank. Love this setup, no complaints at all.

I am currently running a quad setup. I am currently using a 5700 XT but had it running on a 1660 before hand.

IMG-20200125-182924-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom