Does anyone here self-host their services?

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
Just curious, does anyone partake in "self-hosting" things?
It's a fun hobby and has helped me greatly in my career as well.
Here's what I have running:
Compute:
4x nodes running Proxmox 5.2 - VM / Containers:
  • wallabag - a read-it-later service
  • downloader - box used for downloading and seeding various linux distros
  • grafana - monitoring and metrics graphing box, also runs InfluxDB
  • cloud9 - web-based IDE for various dev purposes
  • dev - box used for development and testing. Constantly broken and rolled to a previous release
  • mc-proxy - minecraft proxy server, similar to apache virtualhosts
  • ansible - automation box, handles templating, updates, yum repos, graylog settings configurations, etc for my other servers
  • dnsmasq - currently active and used DNS server
  • zoneminder - home security system
  • mysql - mysql server used for multiple purposes - personal data recording, etc
  • minecraft-hard - minecraft server on the hardest setting
  • gitea - git repository with a pretty nice web UI
  • airsonic - basically just use this for podcasts
  • guacamole - html5 RDP and SSH service. Scripts pull from my MySQL box that pulls from Proxmox to autopopulate this service with new VM's / CT's as I create them for ease of access
  • synapse - Riot.IM backend, self-hosted decentralized chat service with federation
  • nextcloud - self-hosted Google Drive / Dropbox alternative. integrates with draw.io (hosted in my docker VM) and collabora/code for online office document editing, a la Google Docs
  • confluence - Atlassian Confluence, used as an internal KB, task list, note taking tool. Worth the $10.
  • centos7-vm1 - base CentOS7 VM. Used for XRDP through Guacamole mostly.
  • web - main web server and proxy. Hosts a few sites itself, proxies the rest out to my other servers.
  • minecraft-test - Server to test future minecraft releases
  • searx - self-hosted meta search engine
  • rss - TinyTinyRSS box
  • plex - Plex!
  • ombi - used to request TV shows / movies for Plex
  • duplicati - Backblaze B2 backups. Handles auto-backups to B2 and encryption for said backups. Runs monthly on my VM's and container images
  • orion - self-hosted location tracker. Generates interesting data. I scripted the import of my old Google Location history and have now about 10 years of location history in this box.
  • chat - Riot.IM front-end for Synapse
  • collabora - Online document editing a la Google Docs
  • xrdp - Container with xrdp installed for a lightweight XRDP server for Guacamole
  • mayan-edms - Self-hosted document indexing and organization server
  • docker - hosts PlexTogether and Draw.io docker containers. PlexTogether allows synced viewing of shows on Plex over the internet.
  • graylog - log aggregation box. Pulls syslog and apache web logs from my servers for a centralized error reporting and metrics database.
  • six kubernetes VM's for testing
  • la-rhel-test1, la-rhel-test2, la-rhel-test-vm1 - Redhat Enterprise Linux 7 nodes - Testing and development
  • centos7-template-01 - CentOS7 template. Used as a template for other container deployments
  • ubuntu1804-template-01 - Ubuntu 18.04 template. Used as a template for other container deployments

2x nodes running ESXi 6.5 w/ vCenter - VM / Containers:
  • dc01 - Domain Controller on Server 2016, also runs an active, but not actively used DNS server
  • vcsa01 - vCenter server appliance
  • pxe01 - development pxe server for future deployments

Storage:
1x 8 bay NAS w/ 8TB drives, roughly 44TB's usable (RAID 6)
1x 4 bay NAS w/ 8TB drives, roughly 24TB's usable (RAID 5)
1x 30bay NAS w/ random drives, used mainly for testing, no important data permanently lives here (RAID 0)
About 30TB's in other random drives that are backed up periodically.

I'm slowly moving my infrastructure over to VMWare currently. This will start in full force once I have my CentOS 7 pxe image complete. 48 VM's in total, with probably more to come

What do YOU have running? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
dnsmasq - currently active and used DNS server
dc01 - Domain Controller on Server 2016, also runs an active, but not actively used DNS server

I'm slowly moving my infrastructure over to VMWare currently. This will start in full force once I have my CentOS 7 pxe image complete. 48 VM's in total, with probably more to come

What do YOU have running? :thumbsup:

Curiously, how do you avoid ultra long login times if you aren't using the DC as a DNS server on your LAN? Any time that I dont have one of my DC's as the primary DNS, login can take 5 minutes or longer!

Also, why you ditching Prox for VMWare stuff? Work related reasons or? Everyone keeps trying to get me to try out ProxMox, but I am fairly happy with ESXi...

As for me... Ehh... Most everything is listed in my sig :p

Do you pay for business-class services through your ISP or do they allow this on consumer-grade services? My ISP shut me down when I hosted a minecraft server since it was in violation of my agreement. I called to ask why my internet was out and they told me this and tried to sell me business service, which was the same bandwidth for almost double the cost.

Just wondering if this was exceptional of them or if this is common in other regions.

Curiously, how do you avoid ultra long login times if you aren't using the DC as a DNS server on your LAN? Any time that I dont have one of my DC's as the primary DNS, login can take 5 minutes or longer!

Also, why you ditching Prox for VMWare stuff? Work related reasons or? Everyone keeps trying to get me to try out ProxMox, but I am fairly happy with ESXi...

As for me... Ehh... Most everything is listed in my sig :p

Never had that problem, though I do plan on switching over from dnsmasq to my domain controller as my DNS / DHCP server.

100% work related. Proxmox is fantastic, I'd use it at work if I could :tongue:

Do you pay for business-class services through your ISP or do they allow this on consumer-grade services? My ISP shut me down when I hosted a minecraft server since it was in violation of my agreement. I called to ask why my internet was out and they told me this and tried to sell me business service, which was the same bandwidth for almost double the cost.

Just wondering if this was exceptional of them or if this is common in other regions.

That seems exceptional... I've had at least one Minecraft server running for the last 5-6 years without issue, not to mention all my other crap :tongue:

All depends on your ISP agreement. Sometimes they blanket "hosting services and servers" under that as not allowed, other times as long as its for personal use or not for profit it's fine. Read your ISP's ToS.

Never had that problem, though I do plan on switching over from dnsmasq to my domain controller as my DNS / DHCP server.

I have had that problem since Server 2k3, 15 years ago when I first started to toy with Domains... It actually turned me off to them till here recently when I figured I would just go ahead and use the DC as primary DNS.

All depends on your ISP agreement. Sometimes they blanket "hosting services and servers" under that as not allowed, other times as long as its for personal use or not for profit it's fine. Read your ISP's ToS.

Almost all ISPs in the states have agreements towards these kinds of things in some way. It hasn't stopped me before and I'm pretty sure AT&T has looked at me several times with a monthly average of over 20TB/m bandwidth usage. When the FiOS guy at my rental installed my ethernet in from the ONT he asked why I wanted it in the closet rather than a "normal" place. I told him to go to my mini rack for a clean setup. He then saw my servers and said I'm not supposed to condone this but honestly I don't give a **** since I run game servers too. When I called Frontier for an outage they asked me what my urgency was, then wanted to offer me business class. Had to weasel my way out of that mess lol. Hell I was up front with the AT&T guy when he installed my service here. I said here's the deal boss, I need that cable running to this here rack, not the master closet. He looked at the rack, looked at me, looked down, said alright cool it's a short run anyways :lol: When I asked if I could terminate my own fiber line he started getting curious and asking questions. I didn't hold anything back, didn't get force fed business class either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I looked in my agreement for Midco and it basically says as long as I'm not doing anything malicious or commercial it's fine.

My ISP has rules against hosting your own servers and services on Residential service, they actually make it impossible on residential. However, on SME, they actually sell an add-on package that gives you a public facing IP address instead of one that's behind CGN in order to host things.

I just dont see the average person shelling out $600/month for the ability to remotely access home with a 700ms latency and a ~300GB monthly data cap. :)

Back
Top Bottom