• Ogg Vorbis

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
flac is the best all around if you re serious about music
id3 tag.
good compression and higher than cd quality support

Doesn't compression defeat the better quality? Surely you cant have better quality despite a smaller file size? Introduces noise, no?

Doesn't compression defeat the better quality? Surely you cant have better quality despite a smaller file size? Introduces noise, no?

You can encode things differently such that you store the same data more efficiently, but typically this requires greater processing. And, in cases like music where the amount of information per second changes, you can compress variably - for example, quiet bits like intervals require much less information to encode than a fuller scene with many varied instruments and frequencies, which is what variable MP3 encoding is for.

variable mp3 rate is the worst invention ever. its painful to your ears to listen to
just like winzip flac format is lossless

variable mp3 rate is the worst invention ever. its painful to your ears to listen to
just like winzip flac format is lossless

Really? You shouldn't be able to detect any change in the rate. What does it sound like? Unless you mean you just don't like MP3 cos that's fair :D

Last edited:
flac is lossless and there is compression levels
it becomes lossy after certain level of compression
lowest compression flac is almost like wav file
that's the whole point of flac is to compress and still have a lossless file
just like winzip. whats the point of winzip if it doesn't make smaller size file...

Good point, from reading I realized that FLAC loses lossless compression just like a zip file unzipped is exactly the same without losing the quality and FLAC takes up half the size of a CD whilst sounding the same. I heard there are better-than-CD versions in quality. I wonder whetehr these make a difference to the CD-quality FLAC's ?

Also, tidal vs spotify @ 320kbps ? I wonder how much difference it makes to those who tried both, interesting discussion on another forum i was having.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom