Display Driver/GPU Issue

I have just caught a crash while running my GPU software and have noticed the following spikes in the following categories after graphics card begins to respond again:
Temperature was below 40 degrees C throughout and just reached 40 degrees C after responding again. Overheating?
GPU Core Clock spiked from around 147.3 to 953.7, and then reverts back to the smaller values, around 130-140, after crash.
GPU Memory Clock spiked from around 405 to 900, and then reverts back to the smaller values, around 400, after crash.
VDDC ("GPU Voltage") had risen to 1.112 from 0.887 while crash occurred, then went back to 0.887 after crash.
Other than that, no noticeable spikes in any measurement occurred. I am using the latest version of GPU-Z (2.1.0) to measure the activity of my GPU during this crash. Only other programs running were Chrome and Notepad++.
Could it be a power/PSU/voltage issue? Thanks again.

Last edited:
What are your full specs? A 710 isn't really that "beastly" of a card, so unless you have a potato PSU it should be fine. That or the PSU is going bad - you can pick up a PSU tester if you like to check voltages.

40C isn't in overheating territory - max temp of GPU's is usually around 95C.

Sounds more like something is running that's kicking up the GPU, and then crashing when it's trying to utilize the GPU. Which still could either be software or hardware.

Try booting into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking and see if you crash sitting there in Safe Mode doing something. You could also try, while in Normal mode, disable GPU acceleration within Chrome's advanced settings (all the way at the bottom of the Settings page called "Use hardware acceleration when available").

What are your full specs? A 710 isn't really that "beastly" of a card, so unless you have a potato PSU it should be fine. That or the PSU is going bad - you can pick up a PSU tester if you like to check voltages.
My PSU is an ATX Power Supply, in the ATX TFX series. ATX 12V V2.3 PSU. GT-300. Total output power 300W. 20A.
My GPU requires (according to packaging): minimum 300W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating or 20A). These are the EXACT measurements of the minimum required for the GPU.
Seeing that everything else seems to be running properly, I think the PSU is fine actually.

Sounds more like something is running that's kicking up the GPU, and then crashing when it's trying to utilize the GPU. Which still could either be software or hardware.

Try booting into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking and see if you crash sitting there in Safe Mode doing something. You could also try, while in Normal mode, disable GPU acceleration within Chrome's advanced settings (all the way at the bottom of the Settings page called "Use hardware acceleration when available").
I will try this out, and see if there any crashes that come up.

OK so I have still been getting crashes.
However, I'm noticing a [few] loose pattern/s as regards to WHEN the crash might occur.
One pattern I've recognised today: graphics will crash when I'm running a game I'm making. It will happen when the sound engine is being uninitialised. It certainly doesn't happen all the time. But most of the crashes I've had today have happened when the sound engine was being unloaded in my game. I'm really not too sure how the sound engine I'm using actually works as regards to low-level stuff but I do know that the graphics cards I'm using does have some sorts of sound drivers (NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.3.34.26). Could this be the culprit?
Again, thanks for the help you've provided so far. I've also been meaning to see if the connection between my card and the motherboard (i.e. PCIE slot) might be dusty etc. and is causing faulty power input/output or other connectivity issues, but I keep forgetting to >_< - I'll do it some time today and report if this fixes anything.
REPORT - that hasn't helped.

Last edited:
I have been researching still, and I found this yesterday:
https://www.sevenforums.com/graphic...problems-nvidia-gt-710-2gb-3.html#post3320219
The poster said they had been having very similar issues with the same graphics card. But when they turned off Aero, no crashes had been experienced since then. I have done that, and while a few handy features of Windows are only available through Aero, I have not yet experienced a crash since!
Maybe this was the issue?
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom