What do you install on a new or reformatted computer?

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 + Classic Shell (Windows 10 once drivers roll out and Oculus support)
Drivers [Chipset-IME-Nvidia]
WinRAR
7-Zip x64
CCC Pack
Chrome - Adblock - PDF Viewer
Daemon Tools (I still use this by pure habit)
eVGA PrecisionX
Adobe CS6 Suite
Vegas Pro 12
Logitech Gaming Software
Origin
NZXT CAM
Office
OBS
Go to Services and disable a ton

A lot of things from my previous list still exist but I've limited a lot of installs by adding a 512GB SSD and leave certain things installed. Steam is one good example, as is FRAPS (which I don't normally use). UltraISO, Handbrake, and the like I move over to my server to free up work time on my main rig and because I can remote into it.

1) Windows 8.1 Pro x64
2) Ninite: {Chrome, Firefox, Filezilla, Notepad++, PuTTY, Google Drive, VLC, Audacity, K-Lite, .Net+Silverlight, qBittorrent, 7-Zip, Teamviewer, ImgBurn, WinDirStat, Foxit Reader, Evernote, Steam}
2b) Concurrently run Windows Update while the Ninite stuff is installing
3) Drivers: {Nvidia, audio, mobo utilities}
4) Office 365
5) VMWare Workstation
6) OpenVPN
7) Forensics tools
8) Flux

I keep a lot of portable applications on my GDrive such as CPU-z, so I don't need to bother installing them.

Daemon Tools (I still use this by pure habit)
Half the reason I moved to 8 was so that I didn't have to bother with a third-party ISO mounter :p

Last edited:
Chrome
K-Lite codec pack w/ MPC HC
Teracopy
MSE
HWMonitor
Audacity
CutePDF - PDF Writer
SumatraPDF
7-zip
LibreOffice
Imgburn
VLC player
Revo-uninstaller
WinAmp
DataRAM RAMDISK

Instead of using recuva, I installed easus data recover free. As to uninstaller, iobit uninstaller works well to me. Now I'm considering install a PDF editor.
So SumatraPDF will be the right one?

Instead of using recuva, I installed easus data recover free. As to uninstaller, iobit uninstaller works well to me. Now I'm considering install a PDF editor.
So SumatraPDF will be the right one?

I used to use SumatraPDF, but there was something about Foxit that I preferred. I can't remember what it is any more, but it annoyed me a lot.

Windows 10
Nvidia Drivers
Chrome
Firefox
Tor
gpg4usb
Teamviewer
Notepad++
JoinMarket Tumbler
Steam
DXO Optics Pro 10
Media Player Classic
HWMonitor
MSI Afterburner
Skype Desktop
PIA

Last edited:
Linux of some kind, VLC if its not included, smplayer if its not included, Clementine player if its not included, Google Chrome, plugins if they are not included, then I grab a drink of some kind

Win 7 Pro
MB drivers
Here's the rest:

attachment.php
attachment.php

In a foul mood and didn't feel like typing a whole lot.

Having had a hard drive die and rebuilt my (work) laptop this last weekend I can compile this list :)

after windows...
Office + visio + project.
Cute PDF, (and other printer drivers)
Gadwin print screen (a bit like the snipping tool but hotkey mapable)
notepad ++
minGW (I.e. compilers)
GIT clients (graphical and command line)
GNUwin32 tools (linux tools for windows)
Putty
browsers - Firefox and Chrome
Gimp (in case I want to make a pretty picture.)
VMware player will go on next, (though I might use virtual box as I tried that and quite liked it)

(sadly, with the exception of project, that's pretty much the list that I installed on my last personal computer also) - but with a few more things like DNLA players, music editing software, and software to work my OBD tools for when I (need to) fix my car.

Back
Top Bottom