What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Dual 460s on one card wouldnt make sense since it barely outperforms a single 580. A 595 is already being made and a few things have been leaked about it already. 150w PCI-E, 300w 2x8pin = 450w. Downclock 2 580s and your within the power envelope.

Though it is technically possible to go higher, official PCI-E specification says 300W TDP for PCI-E 2.0 including power connectors.
That's why AMD downclocked the GPU's on the 5970 vs 5870's. And Cypress uses much less power than GF100/GF110.

I know Nvidia would like a dual GPU card. And yes, there are always rumors - just like there were rumors of a dual GF100 card.
But I really doubt they will. Or at least not with full GF110 GPU's.
Maybe they'll make a somewhat cut-down GPU for a 595. Like what GF104 is to GF100....

^and your linkage? (im not doubting it, but i want to see some hard evidence before i can say its real). I really really doubt they would make a card with that high power consumption.

This...

EVGA-01G-P3-1371-AR-GeForce-GTX-460.jpg

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

So far I love it :)

Its all over the internet. You can search 595 or dual gf110 card.

That doesn't mean much, their are a ton of nvidiots out there who have unrealistic expectations of every new part from their favorite company, whether those parts actually exist doesn't seem to matter much. after all plenty of people thought their was going to be a GTX 495 and that never panned out for obvious reasons.

Apok is 100% correct on the PCI-E specs and that 300w limit is why we will never see a dual GTX 580 card at 40nm.

That doesn't mean much, their are a ton of nvidiots out there who have unrealistic expectations of every new part from their favorite company, whether those parts actually exist doesn't seem to matter much. after all plenty of people thought their was going to be a GTX 495 and that never panned out for obvious reasons.

Apok is 100% correct on the PCI-E specs and that 300w limit is why we will never see a dual GTX 580 card at 40nm.

I hope you guys dont really believe what your saying. First everyone (including idiot reviewers) where complaining about how the 480 under the most extreme OCed conditions draws *drum roll* over 300w!!. Oh wait, now it cant? :rolleyes: Get your stuff right. A single 2.0+ slot can power up to 150w and 2 8pin connectors can deliver up to 300w for a theoretical limit of 450w. A single 580 draws around 220w so 2 downclocked on a single board will probably draw less than 400w meaning its still in that theoretical envelope. Its obvious not all manufacturers will conform to spec because of the need of extra power. For instance there was a prototype of a dual GF100 card that had 3 8pin connectors.

Back
Top Bottom