Best possible sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
I am trying to find the best possible sound card for my new computer.

I am running windows Vista 64b Ultimate

I play many games, but I listen to music most of the time I am on a computer. Mostly classic rock, metal, and guitar.

I switched from on board to the x-fi x-treme gamer card on my old build (which is sold) and it was a night and day difference.

I am now looking between the two cards as they seem to be the top ones.

ASUS Xonar D2/PM Ultra Fidelity 7.1

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Has anyone had first hand experience with these sound cards?

Here is a source I found: PC Sound Cards

and here is a quote I found:

"for gaming its a one horse race- x-fi
even the best of the rest- asus and razer cards- are a very distant 2nd in gaming 3d audio. the c-media chips on those cards sound absoultely horrible in newer eax games when 3d audio is enabled. they still use 6 year old 3d algorithms developed by Sensaura b4 it was swallowed by creative labs
the new asus cards have a special driver that 'tricks' games into thinking that eax5 hardware is present but still gives out eax2 effects. pathetic.
real competition is needed and welcome"

What I get out of my research so far is that if I am going to do any gaming at all I need the Creative card and if music is my thing then I need to get the ASUS card...

I am a complete audiophile :)

Cost is no issue...

EDIT: I have a Klipsch/THX 3 speaker setup.. and am going to get a wicked awesome headset whenever I can get around to looking for one..

I have the HT Omega Claro+ 7.1 and I love it

If you are an audiophile, you'll probably appreciate this card's specs

Have you considered a DAC instead? I am using my onboard sound to output a pure digital bitstream to my DAC and it sounds wonderful. In my opinion significantly better than the XFI I had before, and I modded the XFI as well with a better power filter cap and LM4652 opamp.

Also do you have speakers or headphones or what?

I use the asus xonar D2X and would reccomend it to anyone its extremely good the Auzentech prelude is also rated very highly it was a toss up between the two for me.
KustomPCs.co.uk - AuzenTech X-FI Prelude 7.1
I wouldn't use a real creative card they are suppose to be sloppy with support and driver conflicts on vista were dime a doaen when I was researching my card (2 months ago)

I'm quite happy with my Xonar D2X. I moved from an X-Fi XtremeMusic (which I modified, with LME49720 opamps and a better power filtering capacitor)
The sound is cleaner, the drivers are better, and it's PCI-E

It's also still pretty good for games

presonus firebox. it the best card that I've ever heard. it just have compatibility issues with media center

I'd recommend the Asus xonar D2X. Creative and anything using creatives tech is garbage on vista x64 systems. I've had 3 seperate creative cards and all 3 combined don't match the D2X. XD

I'd recommend the Asus xonar D2X. Creative and anything using creatives tech is garbage on vista x64 systems. I've had 3 seperate creative cards and all 3 combined don't match the D2X. XD

x64 and good soundcard just don't go together. I just built me a nice media server with a 4 quad processor with 6 gigs of ram and I hate the Bs that I go though to hear music through my stereo system as oppose to my hdtv. it should play both at once like xp does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom