Windows XP users hanging on for dear life read this.

Vista won't get you the free upgrade to Windows 10, you must have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to be eligible.
You can get Windows 7 on sale at places like Newegg for less than $90. It would be a good investment for getting 10

I have found windows 7 to be very manageable and nearly as interface friendly as xp, considering the compatibility issues with software that window 8 had with users, I would wait on any upgrades to 10.

I have found windows 7 to be very manageable and nearly as interface friendly as xp, considering the compatibility issues with software that window 8 had with users, I would wait on any upgrades to 10.

I completely agree with you on that. Final releases of windows are always buggy and incompatible with many applications.

Can't really complain much when they release preview / beta versions freely available for people to test software out on ;).

The issue here is the military has allowed their software to stay outdated. They can't use Windows 7 because the software they "need" won't work. I'm betting that a lot of that has an alternative. If it doesn't, and it's something that was built by the government for the government, then they need to get on the ball and stop wasting so much damn money on supporting an archaic operating system. Just my two cents. :)

The issue here is the military has allowed their software to stay outdated. They can't use Windows 7 because the software they "need" won't work. I'm betting that a lot of that has an alternative. If it doesn't, and it's something that was built by the government for the government, then they need to get on the ball and stop wasting so much damn money on supporting an archaic operating system. Just my two cents. :)

Easier said than done, and that's experience I have coming from working for just a state gov. Heck, we still have a mainframe running that does as lot of primary stuff. Doing total rewrites applications is expensive and can only be budgeted so much, in addition to the new applications being requested / applications that need updated/maintained.

Back
Top Bottom