windows updates changing my IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I would love to keep my version of windows up to date, but doing so keeps me from using the internet.

I didn't update to SP2, so it's not the firewall, it's not my 3rd party firewall (I figured that one out earlier). It's the fact the my modem/homeportal/router assigns the IP address to the computers in my network and the recent windows updates automatically give me a private assigned 162 address. I cannot change this private assigned address without either doing a system restore or uninstalling the updates.

How would I go about keeping my updates and changing my windows private assigned address to a modem network assigned address,which is a 192 address? I have talked to the DSL tech 3's and the modem's tech 3's on this issue, and they could not change it, their way of fixing it?... reinstall windows completely, LOL.

Windows XP SP1 most recent updates until the last 4 security patches (that's where they start messing with my IP address)
SBC DSL Pro speed
SBC 2wire homeportal modem/router connected by ethernet

I know this could be in the internet forum, but it's the service pack updates (windows software and os) that are causing the problem.

the 162 address is the address windows gives you when it cannot find a proper ip to assign you.

Check and make sure your DHCP service is enabled and started in services.msc (start->run)

Well, wouldn't the DHCP service work fine now? I mean, I did a restore and the modem assigned my IP like it should. Or does the windows updates mess with the DHCP settings when I install those certain updates? Or why would installing the updates mess with the DHCP?

I'll check those settings here in a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom