Windows 8 Upgrade

Zilla

Solid State Member
I wonder if I should get Windows 8 when it comes out so I can use the new software or should I wait and get Windows 9 in a few years. Please reply

No one can answer that for you besides yourself. There are some who love it, some who hate it, some who don't care either way. Try it, see if you like it.

Plus, we do not know if all hardware is supported by 8 yet.

No one knows what 9 will bring.

I also give it a big fat NO...Wait a while let others download it and put up with the headaches first. Someone mentioned they had removed the start key and the desktop looks similar to a cellphone display. Anyone heard anything to this effect?

The interface is a bit smartphonish. I installed it on my laptop which is about 5 years old. Intel has chip-set drivers out already which cover most of their stuff, even older boards. With that I am not missing a single driver and it runs very smooth, boots a tad quicker than 7 (but keep in mind once updates pile on over the next couple years there will probably be no difference in bootup speed from 7). I think windows 8 is going to be liked by a lot of people, especially those that aren't familiar with installing software or always have to ask someone what to do when doing so. It has a lot of flashiness to it that I think people will like things such as a centralized place for apps that are written for the new interface, which involves a lot of sameness/familiarity for people who like that sort of thing. You basically look through the store and see what ya like, click and install. It does everything in the background and notifies you when its done. If your the type that sits down for leisureliness to check emails and facebook and messaging, its pretty sweet because everything can be (if you set it up) right in front of your face when you log in. Overall if your an extreme user and looking for something fresh then think about it. MS has made it very easy with this one to restore your computer, keeping your files or not. I suspect most manufactures won't bother with a recovery partition anymore. <--- i think if that's true than it is shortsighted because even though I haven't investigated the method MS is using for recovery, I suspect it is a wim file method, and I'm sure some hackers will eventually write some excellent viruses to render it useless. I'd say check it out at a store first on some system they are selling, but if your any sort of a power user or even slightly set in your ways, spending a few minutes with it isn't going to convince you.

The final version is pretty polished in fact.

I've always considered MS "New Versions" a fix to their prior versions and there's nothing wrong with that. A fix is a fix. Win XP was ok, Vista was pretty bad and Win 7 was a fix for Vista and you can backtrack that to Win 95 and so on. Just me humble opinions kind sirs...

And everyone is free to share their own opinion.

(BTW, Kboy, you should edit your "1000 Gig Sata Seagate" to 1 Tb, looks more uniform, just imo.)

I'm deffo not upgradeing to Win 8 when it comes out untill all the Headaches have been sorted out. More than Likely when the first SP comes out. Does any one know when the shelf life of Windows 7 will expire? I know you can still go online and get updates for the likes of 95 98SE and ME I think, I think but I'm not sure. In a few years yea I'm sure I can go online and update Win 7 but I'm just woundering how long it will be officially surported by Microsoft?

Can anyone recomend when I should Update, I'm not going to hurry but I love windows 7 and want to wait yea, but dont want to be lft in the dark!

Just quickly, I take it I will have to decrypt the acutall Hard Drive and do a format if I want to install Win 8, as its encrypted by Truecrypt?

I would say no. It brings no real serious advantages in performance at all and the Metro UI is a pain in the arse.

Agreed. Metro is something used on a smartphone. Not a laptop. Once windows 7 dies I'll be moving to Linux or Macintosh.

Spud as for updating I'd wait till the initial probs are sorted. You'd also need to decrypt the HDD then re encrypt it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom