Windows 7 audio help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
I'm having trouble getting sound to work fully in Windows 7. I have 4 satellite speakers and a woofer. When playing music it will only play on two of the speakers+woofer (i.e. 2.1), however any other sounds are able to play across them all. It's very frustrating as I listen to music pretty much all the time when I'm not gaming.

I have the Realtek drivers set up for 5.1, minus the Center speaker (so 4.1).
I have the Realtek device (in Hardware and Sound, manage devices thingy) set up the same.
I have ensured WMP is set to play using the Realtek driver (I get the same results with VLC MP).
I have installed the latest Realtek drivers, which support Windows 7.

Sound works perfectly in XP.

All to no avail. What am I missing?

ok, is the music you are listening to multi channel? if not then it will only play out of the front 2. look in the realtek control panel for a option like upmixing or something similar.

ok, is the music you are listening to multi channel? if not then it will only play out of the front 2. look in the realtek control panel for a option like upmixing or something similar.

Yup, it's multi-channel. As I have tried some tracks, which play fine across all channels in XP.
There is an upmixing option, but any music I play with it on sounds *terrible*.

As I said in OP, I am using WMP and VLC media player - I use both in XP. And I'm assuming that they do support multi-channel audio :p

^ must have missed that part :freak:

ok, well the only explanation i can conjure up is that windows vista and win 7 did away with some kind of hardware accelerated audio and now it's emulated through creatives alchmey. that's what got me when i first went to vista. but my xtrememusic has a good upmixing option to turn 2 channel audio to 5.1, so i just use that.

You will have to wait for proper drivers. RealTek is among the many manufacturers that is not releasing proper drivers till Win7 Gets released. They have partially functional Beta drivers. But they are not fully working.

RealTek has to fix it. Not Windows.

It could also be that the drivers are proper, for Win7 RTM. But due to changes made in the code from RC, which you are running, and RTM which isnt GA till oct. That tje drivers act this way in the version of Win7 you are using. Check the lasr 10 posts or so in the Win7 thread to see that even some basic things dont work in RC that do in RTM.

So given that situation you would have to find the proper drivers for Win7 RC and not use the most recent which are for RTM. Just another idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom