Vista & Dual Core CPU Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

Today I received the Intel Core Duo T2400 processor which I ordered, to replace the Intel Celeron M 430 processor in my laptop (the one in my sig).

After replacing it successfully, I boot up the laptop, only to find that the system freezes right after POST, and fails to boot into Vista. So I take the keyboard off, and pry out the CMOS battery, left it for two minutes, placed it back in and booted the laptop up again, but still to no avail.

I went into the BIOS settings (HP customized) and it's detecting the processor correctly. All the BIOS settings were correct. Also, after installing the dual core CPU, a new option appeared allowing me to enable or disable 'Dual Core CPU' functionality. This however, was enabled :sad: .

I thought I'd try changing some BIOS settings, the first was to disable 'Dual Core CPU' functionality. After doing this, Vista booted successfully! A sigh of relief? Kind of, but not really, because I've purchased a dual core CPU and only getting half of what it's worth.

What to do...? :confused:

What do you mean half its worth? Do you see 2 CPU's in the performance tab in the task manager?

Hello,

No I only see one. I can't get Vista to boot successfully without disabling 'Dual Core CPU' functionality in the BIOS.

post the mobo type and cpu type, I heard the sometimes those so called dual core mobos dont work correctly

The motherboard is an OEM motherboard. Everest just reports 'Hewlett-Packard nx7300 (RU452ET#ABU)' (which is the laptop model and part number).

The original processor was an Intel Celeron M 430 (SL9KV) processor. The new dual core processor which I've upgraded my laptop with is an Intel Core Duo T2400 processor (SL8VQ).

HP nx7300 notebook models are available with a range of Intel Celeron M and Intel Core 2 Duo processors.

Since the system POSTs successfully with 'Dual Core CPU' funtionality enabled in the BIOS, I might try re-installing Vista and see if it will boot correctly with dual core enabled.

its probably the HAL. You install windows with a single core it installs a normal HAL but if you install it with multiple cores it uses the SMP HAL. You cant just swap out the processor without changing the HAL.

Atleast thats what would be the case with XP. Vista I know nothing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom