sudden installation problems and system freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robvanderlinden

Beta member
Hi,

Every now and then my PC froze when surfing the internet.
I friend told me, that this was caused by Norton internet security 2003.
The only problem that I had with Norton, was that liveupdate couldn't update everything.
I kept getting a message that symantec common client needed to get an update.
I would have to install this update, start the PC, and execute liveupdate again.
But I kept the message everytime I run liveupdate.

After recieving a new harddrive for my first one that was about to crash, I decided to install this HD as master, and my old HD as slave on the first controller.
The other one handles my DVD/CD-rom and cd-writer.

I also checked the BIOS, and closely monitored the screen when starting up the PC.

Because my system sometimes froze, I decided to install Windows XP home version on my new HD, a Maxtor 40 GB.
The other Maxtor HD (30 Gb) I started to use as drive D.

Because the HD is 40Gb, I used a NTSF system, and chose to format the 1st partition (C).

The system looked to work OK, but after a while the system started to freeze again.

I decided to give it another try and installed windows XP again, to make sure I had left nothing out.
As soon as I got in the setupmenu where I could choose the partition I liked to format, the system froze!!!

After another startup the installation the system gave a message that it was missing hal.dll

Another time the system froze when I was installing the XP update:servicepack 1, or when I wanted to make a recoverypoint.
The next time my system froze when the installationmenu gave only 23 minutes left for installation.

Then I decided to disconnect the new HD, and format the old HD, that I configured to Master, again to FAT-32, and re-installed Windows XP.

All went well, but as soon as Windows had started up, I decided to change sthe startmenu into the classic on.
When I moved my mouse to the line of my choice, the system froze again!!!!

At first I thaugt it was due to the CD-rom, but at Microsoft they told me that it was a hardwarefault.
He thaught that it might be caused by faulty memory.
But he told me that he would be glad to change my cd-rom, but he daubted that the cd-rom was the cause.
There are no deep scratches in the cd, just a couple small ones on the surface.

I hope that someones who reads this can help me with this problem.

Can it be the memory, or is this caused by other hardware inside my system:

AMD 1333 Mhz,ASUS Mainboard with 1 plate with 256 DDR-DRAM
2 HD, ATA 7200 rpm,Maxtor 30 and 40 GB
Pioneer DVD and Plextor RW

Yes...it's probably your memory. The microsoft guy is probably right. could also be your graphics card.

Do you have multiple memory sticks? take one out and try installing XP again.

You could also try to flash your BIOS. Take a look at your motherboard's website for the newest BIOS

did you try uninstalling and re-installing Norton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom