Should I buy AutoCad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinoy3000

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, Im here in college and I was just thinking if I should buy AutoCad 2008. The retail price for it is around $5,000 but I can have it special ordered through my school and get it as a student version but its the full version of AutoCad. I can get it for $150.00!!!

So I mean, I can wait until I actually need it or I can buy it now, mess with it and learn how to use it.

I'm studying to be an Aeronautical Engineer. Going to be in college for a total of 6 years to triple major in Math, Physics, and Aeronautical Engineering. So eventually I'm going to need to know how to use this product and I need to have it before I graduate and when I start my Engineering Classes which wont be until 3 years from now. So should I wait and get it three years for now or get it now?

$150.00 for a $5,000 dollar software, thats a really great deal right there.

Also, if I do get it, I will be using it on my homework for Physics as most of the time I draw diagrams and stuff which would make it easier on AutoCad. I've used it when I was in high school. I took the class for one year making and designing houses and stuff. I want to relearn how to use it, so Im going to take the basic class again here in college to get started with it......

So I guess im asking you to decide for me :D

Get it or wait? They have newer versions every year btw.

Use google sketch up until you really need it as sketch up is quite powerful and free :D. Talk to your college I.T department and tell them to email if the offer is going to run out

Your graphics card isn't optimised for CAD btw so it may struggle in some more complex drawings...

Use google sketch up until you really need it as sketch up is quite powerful and free :D. Talk to your college I.T department and tell them to email if the offer is going to run out

Your graphics card isn't optimised for CAD btw so it may struggle in some more complex drawings...

Well, its an educational version I get that price no matter what as long as im in this school. I'm transferring to University of Washington after I earn my Physics Degree here with a Minor in math in three years. Then go for three years in University Washington, Transfer all my math credits that would make my minor to a major, transfer all necessary physics classes that are prerequisites for my Major in Engineering and work it that way, So I will graduate in U of W with a Major in Engineering and Mathematics and Graduate in my current school with a Major in Physics and Mathematics also.

Hehe, kinda confusing. But anyway......

My 8800GTS should be able to handle the graphics, ye its complex but its not like the design is going to move or anything. Its a still image but its better if I had one of those Quattro Graphics card or something.

But my school's computer was able to handle the graphics, and trust me, it was a Pentium 4 with a 64mb graphics card only. But then again, that was the Architecture version of Auto Cad, which rarely used any graphics just lines and drawing.

Also, Im going to learn how to longboard woot woot, hehe, is it any fun? Im excited but its almost winter, it will be hard to learn how to longboard, so i might wait on that.

Well, its an educational version I get that price no matter what as long as im in this school. I'm transferring to University of Washington after I earn my Physics Degree here with a Minor in math in three years. Then go for three years in University Washington, Transfer all my math credits that would make my minor to a major, transfer all necessary physics classes that are prerequisites for my Major in Engineering and work it that way, So I will graduate in U of W with a Major in Engineering and Mathematics and Graduate in my current school with a Major in Physics and Mathematics also.

Hehe, kinda confusing. But anyway......

My 8800GTS should be able to handle the graphics, ye its complex but its not like the design is going to move or anything. Its a still image but its better if I had one of those Quattro Graphics card or something.

But my school's computer was able to handle the graphics, and trust me, it was a Pentium 4 with a 64mb graphics card only. But then again, that was the Architecture version of Auto Cad, which rarely used any graphics just lines and drawing.

Also, Im going to learn how to longboard woot woot, hehe, is it any fun? Im excited but its almost winter, it will be hard to learn how to longboard, so i might wait on that.

I just said to contact the IT department for securities sake you don't want the company cancelling the contract with the education department just as you want it unlikely to happen but plausible....

I just said to contact the IT department for securities sake you don't want the company cancelling the contract with the education department just as you want it unlikely to happen but plausible....

Ye Im gonna go there after class. I think im going to order it, I have to ask him what class is offered that teaches me the basics on how to use it and if we have it im going to take it this winter. Grrr my 6 Year Plan schedule was full. The 3 Year plan I think I only have two classes in there that I took thats not part of my major, minor and gen ed requirements. Hopefully I can make it fit or take 19-20 credit class in one quarter or something just to make it fit :D

I would definitely get it. You should not have a problem running it on your pc. At my school they have AutoCad 2007 running on Dells with Pentium D's and Intel 965 integrated graphics.

Nice...... I spoke with the person in there and his suggestion on which version of AutoCad I should get was the AutoDesk Inventor. Its more lean towards engineering work type of prototypes. So Im like... hm........... maybe Ill just wait on it until I know for sure which one I need. I mean, if I get the AutoCad, I assumed you'd be able to do anything with it and not have to get a specific version for a specific job. Grrr....

Anyway, I just ordered a longboard instead :D

Never Summer Swift Custom Pre-Built Longboard Complete Skateboard - 1866

On the shipping it says it should be here 2morrow and I just ordered it today hehe. They have overnight shipping for free or something like that hm....

Not so sure, its weird. Anyone know any good forums for longboarding? I looked a few but I want something with the same quality as this forum. This forum is organized and the ones ive seen for longboarding are not very hehe.

Yeah Inventor is geared more towards engineering. You can make really intricate pieces of machinery, and then explode the picture out to see every single gear and screw you put in it. It's a lot of fun :) It would be a better choice for designing like parts of things compared to autocad, which would be much better for large scale architecture stuff. At least that's what we were taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom