reFormating a Drive to use in new build

AbhorsenOne

Beta member
I've pieced a whole new build to put together today, using only a couple things from my old build, (Powersupply, SSD drives) to use in my new build. I don't want to loose anything in two of my SSD drives, and want to reformat one of my Drives that have win7 installed on it. Should I just disconnect the other two and try and reformat that single drive so I don't potentially erase anything on my other drives, or is there an issue with my boot if I disconnect the other drives and try just running one drive that I want to reformat?

Trying to move forward here because all business are closed due to Covid-19 and I can't leave the house without getting bothered by police.

I don't think it'll matter if it boots or not. Just disconnect your other drives, pop your disk or usb stick in and install from there, you'll get an option to format the drive during your install
Edit : If your installing Windows 7 on a new board and cpu, make sure the new hardware is compatible with Windows 7 first. Much newer hardware is only compatible with Windows 10 today.
You can use your Windows 7 key to activate your Windows 10 install as long as they are the same versions ie: Home to Home or Pro to Pro

Last edited:
I've pieced a whole new build to put together today, using only a couple things from my old build, (Powersupply, SSD drives) to use in my new build. I don't want to loose anything in two of my SSD drives, and want to reformat one of my Drives that have win7 installed on it. Should I just disconnect the other two and try and reformat that single drive so I don't potentially erase anything on my other drives, or is there an issue with my boot if I disconnect the other drives and try just running one drive that I want to reformat?

Trying to move forward here because all business are closed due to Covid-19 and I can't leave the house without getting bothered by police.

Nothing wrong with that. just make sure you copy everything you need of the SSD you want to reformat.

I tend to remove all drives besides the one I want to install my OS on, just in case lol.

On another note....
If you do not disconnect your other drives, Windows has a very nasty habit of putting the boot loader on a different drive without telling you

On another note....
If you do not disconnect your other drives, Windows has a very nasty habit of putting the boot loader on a different drive without telling you

I can attest to that as I have made that mistake.

Back
Top Bottom