Quick XP Format and Partition Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaanish

Fully Optimized
Hi,

I want to reinstall XP (current install is getting a bit clogged and slow, I'm sure you can relate)

But I have some files that I don't want to get rid of, but I can't really burn them on to DVDs, there are too many.

my plan is:

1. Create a partition
2. Move the files I don't want to get rid of from the XP install partition into the new, blank partition
3. Boot with XP disk
4. Format the XP partition, and install again on that partition
5. Copy the files back from the non XP partition into my fresh XP install
6. Delete the non XP partition, and add that space into my XP install partition (so again I'm left with only one logical drive)

Now, I'm no expert on this type of thing, and that was only a theory, so is that possible, and what program would I need to achieve it?

Thanks alot!!!

Hello,

It would be possible. But it wont work. Not with any free or built in tools from Windows. You will need Acronis Disk Director.

Plus if you are trying to move games or softare from the Program Files Folder and just move them back and think they will work. That wont happen. You will be missing the Registry and other files that are created when a application is installed.

Cheers,
Mak

If you don't want to use the trial version, and you want something completely free, you can download a Linux Live CD, such as Ubuntu, boot into it, and use a program on there to repartition.

If you would like more detailed instructions, just let me know. Post a reply, send me a priv message, or I can give you my email address.

Chris

Hello,

GParted will do the job to create free space and to allow you do do this. But it might not allow you to combie the partitions over when done.

NZ...if he knows how to use GPArted there is not sense in using a Linux LiveCD as they use GParted as the partition tool anyways. ;)

He still has Windows installed and is doing the moveing before he formats so to use a Linux LiveCD is overkill at this point. If Windows was not working then i could see using your option.

Cheers,
Mak

actually, i think that i will use gparted, and then i will bother about how to combine the two partitions later beacuse thats not really necessary (although i would prefer it)

cheers to Mak123 and NZcomputergeek

just data files right? slave the drive in another system and copy if you have the resources....ie., another computer or drive (to install xp to or run xp from)

oh, sorry about this, i have just asked my freind, and hes lending me a hard disk, so i can just slave it in my PC and copy my files onto that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom