'new' computer functioning very slowly

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I've inherited my Dad's computer. It's technically 2 years old but only be used for 6 months and been sitting in a drawer since. \

Here's the specs:\
AMD Dual-Core A9-9420 with turbo core technology upto 3.6 GHz
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
6 GB DDR4 Memory
1 TB HDD

I dont really know how to read that. Is that decent?

Anyway so I've just started using this and it's bloody slow. Just launching youtube took multiple mins. And I've been trying to type a term into the search bar at the bottom (is that Cortona?) and I still haven't been able to.

What would be my next steps? Do I do a bunch of scans? Or do I just do some kinda reisntall so I have a fresh computer? I dont have the CD for Windows, if that's even a thing anymore. We bought it from BestBuy if thats relevant.

Thanks!

Windows 10 will consume itself attempting to update if it has been in a drawer for 18 months. Let it run for two days to catch up on it's updates first.

If waiting for updates to finish installing doesn't help - replacing the HDD with an SSD with definitely help.

Thanks guys. That definitely helped!

To replace the HD with an SSD can I do that myself or do I need to get a technician to do so? If that'll cost more than a hundred I wonder if a new computer might not make more sense, unless this computer is still pretty current?

For the new computers that are out now is it the chip speed I should care more about (over and above the one I currently have, AMD A9-9420 3.6 GHz) or the RAM (currently 6 GB DDR4)

ps - is there a site I can input various data (essentially chip speeds and ram) and compare how the 2 configurations would perform, which would do better? so if im considering 2 computers i can see which is actually better and perhaps to what degree.

You can talk what you want, but the problem with this computer was definitely not the HDD, but it's configuration and usage.
Of course, using SSD will make every computer booting and data storing and reading a lot faster, but it will not change any millisecond will change, for example, to open YouTube or open any other website.
Of course, it is wise to use SSD for OP system nowadays, but so far it is wise to use for data storage the HDD drive.
But again, with every decent HDD and properly configured computer, the speed of opening a webpage has nothing to do with using an HDD or SSD.
And another suggestion. If you really have 1 TB of any hard drive, you should not have the OP system installed on a partition larger than 200-300 GB. Factories typically use up to 240 GB of separate disk space for the sex drive, and newcomers typically have NVMe SSDs that are much smaller and even faster.
For example, I have an NVMe SSD that is 240 GB and is 25x25x2mm in size. For other recordings I also use the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Internal SATA Solid State Drive. And the result is that I haven't found any websites I should wait to open. The computer will also restart in a completely off state within a 10-20 seconds. Takes about 30 seconds it is fully functional, ie I can open any website or what ever I need.
And I have only two-core-processor what can run up to 4 GHz, but it happens very rarely, if CPU usage is more than 30% and RAM usage is more than 20%. (I have currently 16GB RAM installed).
But even a 2 Ghz dual-core processor opens YouTube for any video in less than 1 second, and the same goes for any web page. Startup speed is usually 20-30 seconds, using 4GB RAM - this is my old DELL Vostro laptop at the moment. It's really very old, nearly ten years, but till now absolutely usable, currently runs Win 10 1909x64 and works perfectly.
So, I write this only because it's what You simply must know, ie don't always think, that You have bad computer or Windows works badlty... very often is problem in incorrect usage and configuration.

If you read this and you have some thoughts, all is well and you will soon be free of your computer problems. I haven't had them in years. And you don't have to have a big and thick wallet, so you don't have them, but something else. It means - You must have knowledge.
Good luck.

OK thanks. So how do I fix it?

You can talk what you want, but the problem with this computer was definitely not the HDD, but it's configuration and usage.
Of course, using SSD will make every computer booting and data storing and reading a lot faster, but it will not change any millisecond will change, for example, to open YouTube or open any other website.
Of course, it is wise to use SSD for OP system nowadays, but so far it is wise to use for data storage the HDD drive.
But again, with every decent HDD and properly configured computer, the speed of opening a webpage has nothing to do with using an HDD or SSD.
And another suggestion. If you really have 1 TB of any hard drive, you should not have the OP system installed on a partition larger than 200-300 GB. Factories typically use up to 240 GB of separate disk space for the sex drive, and newcomers typically have NVMe SSDs that are much smaller and even faster.
For example, I have an NVMe SSD that is 240 GB and is 25x25x2mm in size. For other recordings I also use the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Internal SATA Solid State Drive. And the result is that I haven't found any websites I should wait to open. The computer will also restart in a completely off state within a 10-20 seconds. Takes about 30 seconds it is fully functional, ie I can open any website or what ever I need.
And I have only two-core-processor what can run up to 4 GHz, but it happens very rarely, if CPU usage is more than 30% and RAM usage is more than 20%. (I have currently 16GB RAM installed).
But even a 2 Ghz dual-core processor opens YouTube for any video in less than 1 second, and the same goes for any web page. Startup speed is usually 20-30 seconds, using 4GB RAM - this is my old DELL Vostro laptop at the moment. It's really very old, nearly ten years, but till now absolutely usable, currently runs Win 10 1909x64 and works perfectly.
So, I write this only because it's what You simply must know, ie don't always think, that You have bad computer or Windows works badlty... very often is problem in incorrect usage and configuration.

If you read this and you have some thoughts, all is well and you will soon be free of your computer problems. I haven't had them in years. And you don't have to have a big and thick wallet, so you don't have them, but something else. It means - You must have knowledge.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom