Moving Data from One Server to Another

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello. I'm wondering what would be the best practice would be for this situation. We're in the process of converting our physical servers over to our VMWare vCenter server. What's the best way to copy a lot of file server data from one to another server? Going from Server 2008/2012 to Server 2016. What free programs would copy the data and retain their security permissions? Any help would be appreciated!

Robocopy.
Robocopy will not move all the permissions to the new server.
Tons of tools can copy from one server to another and can copy the NTFS/shared permissions without any loss, these tools can be run automatically.
As a free tool, I suggest duplicati or freefilesync.
As a paid tool, I suggest Carbonite and Gs Richcopy 360.
Sure there are many differences between the free and the paid tools, maybe the available features and the support.

Robocopy will not move all the permissions to the new server.
Tons of tools can copy from one server to another and can copy the NTFS/shared permissions without any loss, these tools can be run automatically.
As a free tool, I suggest duplicati or freefilesync.
As a paid tool, I suggest Carbonite and Gs Richcopy 360.
Sure there are many differences between the free and the paid tools, maybe the available features and the support.
This thread is from 2018, let's not necro.

Robocopy will copy permissions using /copy:DATSOU, we used it for the government as 3rd party apps are not permitted. You use icals if all else fails.

To transfer files between 2 Windows servers, the traditional way is to use FTP desktop app as a middle-man. You need to download Filezilla or other FTP desktop tool, configure and use it to upload or download files between two remote servers.

However, no FTP server is installed on most of the Windows Dedicated Servers by default. But you can use another way to transfer files using FTP. In Windows 10, you can use File Explorer to add network location to your local computer and then manually move files from or to it.

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom