Microsoft Hotfix location for SSID Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monolith

Solid State Member
You cannot reconnect to a wireless network that uses a hidden SSID after you manually disconnect from that network on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

Above ^ is the link to the exact problem im having.

The wireless network we all share at home is MAX OUT on security.

I have XP Pro sp2. Dell laptop. The trouble just suddenly happened one day...2 weeks ago...

I cant connect to the network, non-brodcasting SSID network...
It is there, but not listed, and not connected in my network listing...
But it will suddenly see it and connect, very very random.
Look at the above link)))

If i COULD find the download link i would download it and have the glitch 'fixed'
but if you notice that if you click on the download page at the top...it lists a bunch of foreign languages that the hotfix is avalable for. ENGLISH is not listed, but the article CLEAR says and talks about the 'english hotfix.'

So whats the deal...??

and i cant find the filename of the hotfix to search and find it someplace else...??

anyone help me out?:(

also, I have just downloaded XP service pack 3, but hesitant to actually install it.

This one little annoying problem seems to occur anytime i disconnect from my home network, onto another, or if i were to disable then enable...it would be "lost"

is service pack 3 safe??

This is my laptop with ALL my music and ALL my work stuff (emails, contracts, files, etc)

so i CANT AFFORD TO GAMBLE! Ive read that after installing sp3, SOME software may have to be re-installed....no way! i cant chance it!

thoughts?

Okay that first link you will have to contact them to get the download. It was not made public.

SP3 is safe already. It was safe before its release. There is no gamble in using it. If you are that paranoid. BACKUP. You never know when you will get that email that will trash your PC and you cant recover your files. What then??

I havent had to reinstall any of my software...and I use quite a bit of different things. Only thing I had to redo was my uxtheme.dll patch, so I could use my custom themes.

Sp3 is "safe" but the install sometimes causes a boot loop issue. There is a link int he stickies section on the quick fix for that should you encounter it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom