Mac OSX basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
i am working at my college and my workstation is running mac OS version 10.2

i had thought that once you learn an OS they are all the same, wrong! i accidentally selected a file and pressed a letter on the keyboard and the OS started the process of renaming that file.

so i pressed ESC thinking that it would abort the renaming process, but no it renamed it anyways. i ended up accidentally renaming 2 files that were important for Indesign to run so now i have to reinstall that program.

if the OS starts renaming something how do i cancel the renaming process?

also can someone give me some resources to learn mac OS basics? i have read the help built into the OS but that was utterly useless garbage. i still don't know how to place shorcuts onto the desktop :eek:

To abort the renaming process, try deleting what you've already typed and then pressing enter. It'll probably ask you to type in a name, so press cancel. That should re-enter the original name.

whoa it's in movie format so no reading for me, cool! sure buddy we'll just keep this one to ourselves (heh, heh .. ;) ), nobody else will know about this. thanks for the great resource link.

hey mac-mogul you got any other handy links for me?, because you made it pretty clear you like macs, thought it wouldn't hurt to ask :eek:

I don't have any links for you. But I checked out your problem and I renamed some important InDesign stuff... it still worked. So I don't see why yours didn't. It could also be that I'm running OS X 10.1.5, and InDesign might run different... but I don't see how it would.

If you have to re-install the program, make sure you keep your documents in a safe place before the re-install. Either in a desktop folder, or on a disk. I've had instances where re-installing a program wipes out your docs that are saved in the programs 'documents' folder.

Hope you get it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom